Out of our interests

Out of our interests

by Simona Shaygan -
Number of replies: 8

Good start linking allergies and foreign foods that originally are strangers to humans in different regions.

http://theparliament.com/latest-news/article/newsarticle/eu-food-labelling-rules-do-not-go-far-enough-1/#.UGF50rJm

In reply to Simona Shaygan

Re: Out of our interests

by Simona Shaygan -

The Must Watch video. If exercise is a medicine, what is the dose?... Very playful and quite objective 9 minute of phisical activity promotion. 

:)

by Yasin Fatine -

Not really related, but this article reminded me of what was said today in the 'research' lecture; if you do the piece of research, will you be enhancing the stigma? As always, the comments underneath the article are the most interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/04/african-aid-no-more-pity

In reply to Yasin Fatine

by Simona Shaygan -

Great stuff Yasin, I guess many comments there are based on all sorts of emotions. And if so, it means the author got what she wanted- to get people thinking.

by Simona Shaygan -

I have made this picture and apploaded on my FB straight after the closing ceremony of London 2012. I kind of believe in old like world expression "start from your self". 

Would be interesting what you think of this ;-)

"According to BBC "Olympic stars including Britain's Greg Rutherford and Ethiopia's Tirunesh Dibaba have backed a campaign against child malnutrition in poor countries"

But words remain words and we see that for couple of decades. And this will happen as long we fail to get the balance there and here. It is not enough for politicians and celebrities to say " we want to fight hunger in developing world", as long they are not ready to control their own appetites. And there is the Challenge"

Do you think that the change starts in our home, community and society? What our words and promises are worth when we fail to believe ourselfs in what we say?

Attachment 391261_10152021104520331_1546936198_n.jpg

by Yasin Fatine -

Wow, those are powerful pictures. I suppose we do have a role within our own households to ensure there is no wastage of food, but to change things around the world does take longer. The effects of colonialism are felt for generations, and even though I don't know much about it, I understand that national debt, and the interest payments on that debt a country has to pay are factors in preventing progression. So poverty is one thing, and access to food/water is another. In countries where there is drought, what are the options? But whatever the reason, there is no magic wand solution in my opinion. There are initiatives to start sustainable businesses etc, but are some populations even in the position to think about that when they are on the brink of starvation?

by Simona Shaygan -

Dear all,

European Public Health Alliance keeps posting news, briefings and events related to PH. As the European Antibiotics Awareness day is approaching, EPHA has published an interesting article on Antimicrobial Resistence.

http://epha.org/a/5373

by Simona Shaygan -

hi all, did you know....

In Europe, an estimated 8 million people lack access to proper sanitation ► Sign the European Citizens’ Initiative for implementation of the Right to Sanitation and Water in EU law at www.right2water.eu !