critical appraisal

critical appraisal

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

A very important thing that i felt was lacking in the research was the effect of gender on participants reaction. From this study we cannot derive whether or whether not a female victim would be more willing to disclose domestic violence to a female professional or vice versa.

I also felt that snowball method would have been more effective in this study as many domestic violence victims might not have revealed this to the professionals but only to some fellow victim. So if the victims were asked to tell about someone they knew who was suffering from Domestic violence but was hiding it then it would have been better to find out as to why are they unwilling to disclose. All the participants of this study are victims who have already disclosed to the healthcare professionals so to really understand the barriers it would have been better to interview someone who wasn’t ready to come out of the shell.

Another thing that I felt was missing was the factor of embarrassment specially among men to disclose this matter as only 2 men came to participate in this study as compared to 16 females.

Other thing that I noticed was that of two male victims both were perpetrating domestic violence some more information on this might have been helpful.

For intervention in mental health care few more questions to the perpetrators would have helped specially as to what degree of mental satisfaction do they derive from violence. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: critical appraisal

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

Hi Anam, 

I completely agree that gender was an important factor in this study that was not appropriately analysed. I also agree with he different ways gender could've influenced the study and could have been analysed in an iterative process that you have proposed. 

Something I thought of in terms of gender was the issue of reflexivity: did the researcher's gender influence the answers tparticipants gave? 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: critical appraisal

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

I like that you picked up the point they used 16 women and 2 men. I also noted this as a bit styrange. They don't explicitely say why they did this but i am inclinde to think this was appropriate. If you look back at their introductory background section, they reference evidence that shows that it is a bigger problem in female users of mental health services.

However, this might be due to under-reporting as i can imagine this wouldn't be the easiest thing for a man to disclose! So, you're right. Maybe there should be a larger male representation in the sample!! This may have influenced the results cionsiderably and brought out a number of different and interesting themes.