studying in qualitative reserach of domestic violence

studying in qualitative reserach of domestic violence

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Domestic violence has been increased as one of major public health issues. In this qualitative study, the researchers using some perspectives reflected some barriers and facilitators to enquiry about disclosures of domestic violence and the collecting data which can supply some information to development of interventions in mental health services to address domestic violence.

The method used in this study is cross-sectional semi-structured interview. This interview model conducted with a fairly open framework which allowed for focused and conversational communication between researchers and participants (both health service users and mental healthcare professionals), the ‘cross-sectional’ can help researchers to compare the results of target and make precise valuations. They recruit participants until saturation of themes had been achieved and had rigorous steps of interview that all of these guarantee the quality of the research.

As the results shown in report, the dominant themes divided into two parts, which can be seen clearly in two maps, one for service users in which shows what barriers they have to talk about disclosure of domestic violence. Another map illustrates professionals’ barriers to enquiry this topic. The overlapping themes between service users and professionals are a good way to prove that the importance on good and supportive relationship between them and their clients facilitated disclosure and exploration about domestic abuse.

I think this research found a lot of adequate factors for barriers and facilitators which I had never known. In addition, the thematic analysis was used in here is suitable due to the analysis’ flexibility. Through the theoretical freedom, thematic analysis provides a useful and flexible research tool. It can potentially provide a lot of detailed and complex data.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: studying in qualitative reserach of domestic violence

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Good commentary. I wouldn't use the phrase 'guarantee the quality of the research' as thta's pretty absolute. Methodological rigour 'helps assure the quality of the research' but it doesn't GUARANTEE it!  But a great post nevertheless.