A new approach to disclose domestic violence

A new approach to disclose domestic violence

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 8

The researchers are conducting a new study that considers the perspective of both mental health service users and professionals regarding the disclosure of domestic violence. They are trying to understand why the service users are not able to talk and why the professionals are unable to ask in order to try to find solutions for one of the major public health issues.

In their  research they used a purposive snow ball sampling to see the reasons from professional and service user perspective. They kept recruiting cases until they reached their saturation by having 18 service users and 20 professionals from different ethnicity, age groups, diagnosis and experience. They also used a thick description technique in order to collect more information by audio taping deep interviews that lasted for 30 minutes to an hour. The researchers afterwards succeeded to analyze the data collected and to representing them and an easy visual diagrams that could be easily read and understood. They were careful in every step and did not pass to any further steps until they reached their saturation.

In my opinion, I think that on one hand, the researchers created a good study that deepened our understanding about the barriers to disclosure of domestic violence from a service user and professional point of view. They tried to create a clear image about the fears and the problems that both the service users and the professionals face in order to create a harmonious relationship between them to close the gaps and open up to solve the problem.

On the other hand , I think that there were some choices that they made that might have interfered with the clarity of the results. For instance, the money that was given to the users for their time and expenses might be a source of attraction. As The people might just participate  for the sake of the money. I think it was going to be better if we used the "need to talk" as the only a motive.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: A new approach to disclose domestic violence

by Deleted user -

I totally agree with you hardy. This study explains the burden of domestic violence and especially the obstacles in disclosure; where “fear” is a significant factor for the service users and for the professionals there are some unclear ethical limitations. It also revealed that, a good and supportive relationship between the service user and the professionals may help in exploration of the domestic violence as there are number of factors that can influence the study such as- cultural, social, emotional, gender etc.

The method of data collection, data analysis was appropriate.  However, I am not satisfied with the sample size. I think the sample should be broad enough to confine the different sides of incident. Only 18 service users for a study like domestic violence is not acceptable. And as you said hardy service users were given some money for their time and expense which is also very unacceptable.  Although this is a very good study, all these limitations make this study difficult to transfer the results to other settings.  :)

In reply to Deleted user

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

I understand what you mean re sample size, but a common theme throughout the qualitiative research I have read (which is't much) is that once 'saturation of themes' has been reached (i.e. no new themes were emerging), recruitment is discontinued, as there is no need for further participants who will say the same things.

In reply to Lindsay Jane Bull

by Deleted user -

oh okay.. that means in this study "saturation of themes" reached with 18 service users. thnx lindsay :)

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I agree with you about the money given to the users.Moreover,looking at the number of participants in the study someone would feel that it is appropriate but I would expect a larger sample for this qualitative study. The study included 5 perpatrators out of 18 users identified. It also seems weird to me that they included perpatrators among victims. It's really contradictory to the main aim of the study which is the exploration of barriers and facilitators of people suffering domestic violence. This could, as well, affect the outcome of the research. Finally, I don't think that there is a representative variation of a population regarding age,gender,ethnicity and occupation. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

GREAT THREAD ALL! 

Now, about sampling. " I don't think that there is a representative variation of a population regarding age,gender,ethnicity and occupation."

This implies that the person who posted this wants a STATISTICAL (stratified) sample. Good idea? Why or why not?

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

by Deleted user -

I agree with Harby that offering money to conduct a research is inappropriate specially in an area with low socio-economic status, however if there were some participants who had difficulty in coming due to some financial restraints or could'nt afford to travel could have been offered a pick/drop car or some money to travel.

I think it was a well done analysis of the data to find out the barriers to reporting domestic violance and its interpretation through the charts was very convenient and easy to understand. 

Regarding the size of the sample i believe its fine because 18 people are enough to give information of a set pattern in a particular area but these results cannot be used to form a generalized pattern because different people in different areas behave differently.

by Deleted user -

I think that having a statistical stratified sample is a good idea. As this will help us to identify the relation between different variants ( age,gender,ethnicity and occupation) and the magnitude of the domestic violence.

On the other hand, having a stratified sample will also show us the relationship between the social and cultural background of the population and their attitude towards the disclosure of domestic violence. This will help the professionals to get to understand better the users and as a result they can receive a customized approach in order to get better results.

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

I though that there was some attempt to stratify the samples. Especially that of service users. The researchers gave a breakdown of the self-reported ethnicity of the user and professional group. They also went on to discuss how this might be a limitation to the transferability of results as other populations might not reflect this one in a south london borough (see my reply to Sadhana's post). I think that a stratified sample is a reasonable approach in qualitative research. As the BMJ article talks about, qualitative research depends on context. The age, gender, ethnicity and/or occupation of members will affect themes and issues discussed in the interviews through socio-cultural perspectives.

Its important also to highlight reflexivity and the lack of it in this study. In my opinion, the impact of the researchers age, gender, ethnicity, occupation and social status on the research process and subjects (ie during interviews) is a considerable one, particularly when discussing the topic of domestic violence. What do others think?