Critically appraising Rose et al.

Critically appraising Rose et al.

by Lindsay Jane Bull -
Number of replies: 6

The aim of the study was to explore what mental health service users and professionals believed were barriers and facilitators of disclosures of domestic violence. The sample included 18 mental health service users and 20 mental health professionals. The 18 service users had all experienced domestic violence. 16 of them were female and 2 were male, their ethnic background reflected that of the population as identified in the 2001 census, and a number of diagnoses were identified, as intended by the purposive sampling. As the research question was specific to mental health service users and professionals, the sample was appropriate in that regard.

The data were collected by a cross sectional semi-structured individual interview study, which was appropriate for the subject matter. A focus group could have proved intimidating for the service users and could have restricted how open the mental health professionals were (Hawthorne effect); one of the professionals was a team manager, which may have made a number of the professionals uncomfortable in questioning whether domestic violence was part of their role. An individual interview would make the participants more comfortable and open.

The data were analysed thematically, beginning with identification of patterns that were coded by two raters. From the description of the analysis, it seems that the analysis was reapplied as the coding developed. The thematic analysis allowed common themes to be identified within and between the groups. The authors explain their method and analysis in detail.

As described in the paper, the study was carried out in a very socioeconomically deprived setting with a high proportion of ethnic minority groups, which may result in a lack of transferability. This is particularly important with the theme of culture that was brought up by both mental health service users and professionals. However, the discussion of the clinical implications of the study is quite general; disclosure of domestic violence is facilitated by a good service user-professional relationship and would be further facilitated by domestic violence training of professionals. Despite the deprivation within this particular setting, it is unlikely that this would not have beneficial effects elsewhere.

The study does not discuss ethical issues, but does discuss exclusion of service users, based on the opinion of a clinician that they are too unwell. Service users were given £20 for their time and expenses, which may have coerced them into attending.

I think that, overall, the methods and analysis that the researchers undertook are described in detail in the paper.

I struggled with deciding whether thematic analysis is appropriate - what alternatives are there? And when is thematic analysis appropriate or not?

In reply to Lindsay Jane Bull

Re: Critically appraising Rose et al.

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

FANTASTIC start Lindsay. What do others think about the last question Lindsay has posed?  NB one reason why you find this last question difficult is you've never used the technique yourself. Once you've done some qualitative analysis you get much more of a feel for when a particular approach would 'work' or not

Critically Appraising

by Deleted user -

I dont know if i understood well in the last lecture, but i think i understood that we are not suppose to start new threads so i will post my paragraph here:

The background of the paper is based on the fact that mental health service users are at high risk of domestic violence but this is often not detected by mental health services.

The aims of the paper were to explore the facilitators and barriers to disclosure of domestic violence from a service user and professional perspective.

This was a qualitative study. It was a study of:

1. Mental health care service users, as well as

2.Professionals

who felt that there were barriers as wells as facilitating factors of disclosure on/of domestic violence.

The study sample was appropriate because the research question was specific to/for the mental health service users. This study was a cross-sectional semi-structured interview study and therefore the data was collected through this approach.

I agree with you Lindsay that the data was analyzed thematically and I agree that the authors do explain the methods thoroughly. I also further agree that this may lead to a lack of transferability due to the quantity of the ethnic minority groups.

No, this study did not adequately address potential ethical issues and that I also want to add it that the study did not have any diversity in terms of sex. There were 2 over 18. 

In my opinion, the study was not very clear because I did not quiet understand fully what the researchers were trying to achieve. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Critically Appraising

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Nathalie

If you're not replying to the post above, please do start a new thread. But if you want to comment on someone's posting, use 'reply'.  

Why did you (or anyone else) think that the ethical aspects of the study were not fully addressed?  

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

Lindsay, I think thematic analysis is appropriate for this study. Ok, it might oversimplify the results, boxing huge themes into digestable chunks (displayed very neatly in their maps) but i think this is necesarry. Using other forms of analysis like conversatuion or discourse analysis would be hugely complex and time consuming and most probably pointless. Can you imagine doing discourse analysis on an hour-long interview?

Furthermore, the whole point of the study, in my opinion, seemed to be to identify topics or 'themes' which facilitated or impeded discussion of domestic violence. Another reason why thematic analysis is an adequate choice!

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -

Hey Lindsay, nice post!

I possible disagree with your comment about lack of transferability to the general population. I guess domestic violence is perhaps something that occurs more frequently within the deprived/ethnic minority population so this study infact gives a good insight. But I do agree partially with this point :)

And maybe thematic analysis is appropriate, because this way, the interviewees can talk and give their opinions whilst the investigators can note down particular themes that come up...I think according to the research question, a thematic approach is a good.

The fact that they used a semi-structured approach is also appropriate because it can't be fully structured, otherwise it would limit the information extract by interviewees!

I guess the other approach they could have used would be a more 'open' approach using the narrative of the interviewees and let them completely lead the conversation.

Just my opinion, hope it helps! :)