Management of Eczema

Management of Eczema

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -
Number of replies: 3

Eczema is a particular type of inflammatory reaction which characteristically causes itching and burning of the skin. Up to 20% of children and 1%-2% of adults are believed to have the condition Eczema can have both a physical and psychological impact.

It can be a long term condition, especially if it is not managed as well as it should be. Optimum management of the condition requires a lengthy and time consuming daily moisturising regime. This is very difficult to achieve and maintain. Parents of young children face the added difficulty of gaining their child’s cooperation.

The effort that needs to be put into following the regimes can be all the more disconcerting if patients or parents of patients do not see the results they are expecting in the time frame they imagined they would.

For this reason my research question would be:

How could patients/carers be involved in improving the long term or continuous (self)management of eczema

Topics:

1. Effectiveness of current regimes in terms of moisturisers and steroids prescribed.
  2. Nature and scale of difficulties in implementing these regimes found by patients/parents.
  3. The influence of increased or more active education on adherence to regimes.
  4. The impact of improved management on psychosocial wellbeing.

As each patient’s/family’s experience of eczema is different I would use a semi structured qualitative interview, allowing them plenty of time to tell their story.

The first question would be very broad such as: What has been your experience of eczema. This will open up the conversation allowing them to bring to the discussion all the aspects they feel are important.

Some slightly more closed questions that could be asked depending on the flow of the interview could include:

1. What impact has eczema had on your life
  2. What impact has the management of eczema had on your life? 
  3. What do you know about eczema?
  4. What would you like to know?
  5. What would you like others around you (e.g. work and school) to know?
  6. What do you understand about the management of eczema?

-          Why these particular treatments are prescribed

-          Why the regimes are suggested and set out as they are

-          How long management of the condition needs to continue for

8. How was the condition explained to you at the time of diagnosis?

9. How did you feel about the diagnosis?

In reply to Sadhana Sharanya Jacob

Re: Management of Eczema

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

I think this is a great example and very thoroughly done. Its interesting that you focussed on management of the disease as this has a huge impact on people's lives. You've drawn a good link between managing the condition and psychosocial wellbeing. But your focused questions seem to focus more on the understanding of eczema and the diagnosis itself rather than how they cope with the 'lengthy and time consuming daily moisturising regime'. This example has helped me understand the task this week too so thanks!!!

In reply to Joseph Daniel Jameson

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

Thank you!

That is a very good point! I should've thought of that! I would ask how; how they feel about the regime, how they cope with it and if they have thought of ways to improve or make it more manageable. 

In reply to Sadhana Sharanya Jacob

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Sadhana

I think you are a natural qualitative researcher! These are GREAT questions and exactly the sort of list that a social scientist might put together. 

Again, it would be nice to see a clearly defined gap in the research literature which your 'research' seeks to fill. But great work anyway.