Interview for patients who are suffering of have suffered from Dengue fever

Interview for patients who are suffering of have suffered from Dengue fever

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

Dengue Fever also known as breakbone fever, is an infectious disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms include feverheadachemuscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles. In a small proportion of cases the disease develops into the life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever, resulting in bleedinglow levels of blood platelets and blood plasma leakage, or into dengue shock syndrome, where dangerously low blood pressure occurs.

Dengue is transmitted by several species of mosquito within the genus Aedes, principally A. aegypti. An infection can be acquired via a single bite.[17] A female mosquito that takes a blood meal from a person infected with dengue fever becomes itself infected with the virus in the cells lining its gut. About 8–10 days later, the virus spreads to other tissues including the mosquito's salivary glands and is subsequently released into its saliva. The virus seems to have no detrimental effect on the mosquito, which remains infected for life and spreads the virus to whoever it bites.

Treatment of acute dengue is supportive, using either oral or intravenous rehydration for mild or moderate disease, and intravenous fluids and blood transfusion for more severe cases.

It infects 50 to 100 million people worldwide a year, leading to half a million hospitalizations, and approximately 12,500–25,000 deaths.

My research would be based more towards finding out:

How serious do patients in the developing countries take this fever.

The severity of symptoms that lead them to the hospitals

The relationship of the disease with the living conditions of the household.

1.What was the first line of drug that u used when u felt high fever?

2.Had u ever heard of Dengue fever before?

What were the symptoms which were bothering u the most?

3.What sign or symptom made u go to the hospital?

4.Did u increase the intake of fluids when u had fever?

5.Did u take rest during fever or you went to work/school? ( tells you whether they took it seriously or not and the effect that not resting has on the fever)

6.After how many days of high fever did u got to the hospital?

7.Did you ever use an anti-mosquito product? ( To find out about the awareness level)

8.Do you have stagnant water around ur house or workplace?

9.Have u ever been infected by malaria or dengue before? ( It tells you whether they are living in a mosquito  prone area)

10.Do you sleep outdoor or indoor?

11.How many people sleep in one room? ( It tells about the socio-economic status)

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Interview for patients who are suffering of have suffered from Dengue fever

by Deleted user -

Hi Anam,

I really enjoyed your topic and the questions you chose to ask. I also didnt know the number of deaths was so high each year.

One of my favourite questions was this one:

'How many people sleep in one room? ( It tells about the socio-economic status)'. I found it a really important one, I wouldnt have even thought about asking this one.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Thanks Nathalie..

Yes the death rate is very high,  last year we had an outbreak in Punjab a province in Pakistan and in 3 months 21,000 cases for   Dengue were reported but interestingly the government acted very efficiently to fight this endemic. Although the final report will be issued in November but there have been very few cases reported this year. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

Anam, 

This is a very interesting post. I know very little about dengue fever so this was very educational. Like Nathalie I had no idea it caused such terribly high death rates. I very much like the questions you asked as they focus on the health behavious of patients and I think this is a nice, unusual angle to approach this topic from. 

In reply to Sadhana Sharanya Jacob

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Another survey!  I am very interested that most people have decided to list survey-style (closed, quantitative-oriented) questions not qualitative (open-ended, exporing the illness experinece) ones, and I think we need to talk about this. 

By the way Anam, what was your research question?  What do you hope to add to the existing research literature on Dengue fever?  Maybe someone has already done a study on all the questions you have listed!  (This is a prompt to EVERYONE to look up the literature to see what the gaps might be before listing your questions).