Diabetes interview

Diabetes interview

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 7

Briefly, diabetes type 2 is a life long diease with a late on-set and is chronic. It is normally the result of an unhealthy diet + an unhealthy life style.

Research Question = What are the causes of type 2 diabetes?

Topics:

• The causes of diabetes type 2
  • The risks of diabetes type 2
  • Who Gets diabetes type 2
  • A persons control with eating
  • Diet preferred/importance of food
  • Exercise
  • Ways of preventing diabetes

Questions {a semi-structured qualitative and quantitative interview}:

1. What do you think diabetes type 2 is?

2. Why and how do you think people get Diabetes type 2?

3. What do you think are the effects and risks of diabetes on our health? Or are there no effects/risks in your opinion?

4. What is the preferred food for you?

5. How important is food and eating for you?

6. Do you have control when it comes to eating?

7. Does regular exercise help one to not get diabetes?

8. What do you think is the best way to prevent type 2 diabetes? Is there more than one way?

9. What do you think is the best way to prevent diabetes type 2 from worsening if an individual already has it?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Diabetes interview

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

Nathalie, 

I really like the topics you have chosen as I think that they are very patient-centred. I also think you have asked some very good questions. I was wondering in what setting would you be asking these questions and to whom? Are these people who have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or is to gain a better understanding on the public's perception of the disease? 

Sadhana 

In reply to Sadhana Sharanya Jacob

by Deleted user -

Hey Sadhana and Lindsay,

Thanks for your replies.

I would be asking these questions to people who have been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 and to people who are at high risk of getting diabetes.

In reply to Deleted user

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

I don't think yours is wrong at all! You've focused on a completely different part of diabetes to me.

I like that you focus on the risk factors/causes of diabetes whereas my questions are focused more on once a patient is diagnosed.

Would you say that the question is about people's perceptions of the causes of diabetes?

And I agree with Sadhana - is the aim of the research to measure the extent to which patients which diabetes understand their disease, or is it to get a better understanding of public perceptions of diabetes?

In reply to Deleted user

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

I think this is a great comparison to Lindsay's study. The difference in the questions you came up with and the different focus on causes vs management reflects the huge amount of  qualitative sociological research that could be carried out for T2DM

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Very nicely put Nathalie,

I like your questions. It gives a non-medical approach to treating diabetes which is great.

I liked how you asked bout exercising.

Borderline cases of diabetes can be treated by altering the dietary habits and excercising.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I like the fact that the same topic is introduced differently. Topics can be multilateral depending on the way you approach them. There is no right or wrong...On the contrary, different aspects make a topic more interesting. Good job!

In reply to Deleted user

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Agree. Topics can certainly be multi-angled depending on whihc way you approach them. These are good questions - but VERY broad. Which ONE of the questions on the list might you take and divide into sub-questions?