Bowel cancer screening

Bowel cancer screening

by Lindsay Jane Bull -
Number of replies: 3

Medical screening involves targeting a specific population, by  age or sex etc, due to their perceived increased risk of disease. It is based on tests performed on an asymptomatic population, with the aim of classifying people as likely or unlikely to have or develop a disease.

Bowel cancer is the second most common cause of cancer mortality and 85% of cases occur in people aged over 60. Men and women between the ages of 60 to 69 are sent faecal occult blood (FOB) test kits every two years. Those with abnormal results are then referred for further investigation. 1.9% of tests are positive; 10.9% of these will have a cancer and 35% an adenoma. 

In addition to the FOB test, the NHS is planning to offer an additional one-off flexible sigmoidoscopy screening to men and women aged 55-59. 

There are benefits to the patient of screening for bowel cancer:

- the majority of cancer cases detected by the screening test are early-stage cancers, only 1% were found to have metastasised at diagnosis. This increase in the early diagnosis of patients improves their prognosis. There are estimates which suggest that FOB reduces mortality associated with colon cancer by about 25%, 

However, there are also problems with the screening test:

- There are false positives: only 10% of those with a positive results will have a cancer. This can lead to anxiety, and will also mean unnecessary investigations such as colonoscopy, which has risks associated with it.

- There are false negatives as colorectal cancers (especially early cancers) can bleed intermittently; 

- There may also be overdiagnosis of pre-cancers, which may never have developed to cause any harm, although this is less of a risk than with other cancers.

Bowel cancer screening can reduce mortality associated with bowel cancer, but is not perfect.

In reply to Lindsay Jane Bull

Re: Bowel cancer screening

by Deleted user -

Hi Lindsay,

I did not know that Bowel cancer is the 2nd most common cause of cancer mortality.

I was just wondering, do you know what the point would be to offer a one-off 'flexible' sigmoidoscopy screening'?. I don't quite unerstand what the word 'flexible' means in this case.could you please explain?

In reply to Lindsay Jane Bull

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -

Personally, I think the FOB test is simple and easy for individuals to carry out.

Is it really ethical to start carrying out invasive procedures for bowel cancer. Especially when a lot of people feel embarrassed and anxious in these kinds of situations. 

Especially, if the test turns out false +ve PLUS the individual suffers from adverse effects such as bleeding as a result. Is it really worth it?

Surely, it makes more sense to start off with a simple procedure such as FOB, and then take further steps as necessary!

- Saadia

In reply to Saadia Aziz Dhedhi

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

I agree Saadia, I also think people are much more likely to take up screening if it is simple and less evasive even if the more evasive techniques were deemed to be ethical. Therfore it is better to promote information on symptoms to look out for, invite people to take part in simpler screening tests and then as you said take further tests if necessary.