Which screening tests would YOU have?

Which screening tests would YOU have?

by Patricia Greenhalgh -
Number of replies: 3

Screening affects us all, as clinicans, patients and citizens.

Use this thread to consider which screening tests you would agree to have yourself, and which ones you'd prefer not to have. Justify your decision by drawing on what Sara talked about in her lecture.

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

Re: Which screening tests would YOU have?

by Deleted user -

Hi Trish, sorry for a late reply. Well, I would prefer doing a cervical cancer screening test and if possible hypertension screening test. The reason behind are-

Cervical test:

I am a female and it is a leading cause of death in our country. All women after the age 21 are asked to do a Pap’s smear test.  Because the test is highly specific compared to other cervical screening test such as VIA. So the chance of false positive result is less therefore less mental trauma. On top of that, the test is not painful.

Hypertension:

I have particular in this test because I have a positive family history, bad dietary habit and most of the risk factors. I am not sure what will be the consequence of the screening and how will be the treatment procedure. However, if I get diagnosed or prone to develop hypertension, then I think it will have some positive and negative effects. Like, change in dietary habits, doing regular exercise. On the other hand, constant feelings of nervousness, anxiety for developing other diseases related to HTN like- IHD, pre-eclampsia etc.

The test which I wouldn’t prefer is mammography for breast cancer screening mainly because it’s very painful and there is a chance of false positive result which again related with psychological stress and anxiety. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hey guys,

The tests I wouldn't mind getting for myself would a be kidney function to check creatinine level in the blood.  For the following reasons:

1- we have a busy routine and dont get time to drink The normal required quantity of water 

2- the heating system everywhere indoors causes  a lot of dryness and dehydration 

3-  using alot of public toilets puts me at a higher risk to  catching uti which could leave to a kidney infection. 

The tests i wouldNt want to get would be an intravenous pyelogram/ Renal arteriography or any test which Injects a contrast medium Into blood vessels. 

This could further enhance kidney or liver damage. I am scared that I might get some sort of reacaused cause of the dyes and the radiations could be a risk factor for causing cancer.

Thanks 

In reply to Deleted user

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Anam

Some of these tests aren't SCREENING tests. The issue with screening is that the test is cheap, non-invasive and can be done at scale to detect people who need further investigations. Take a look at some of the programmes which are called SCREENING, not just at individual TESTS.