Any comments on the quality of the analysis?

Any comments on the quality of the analysis?

by Moira Kelly -
Number of replies: 3

Linking to the discussion about sampling, does anyone have any comments on how the analysis was done, how its presented etc.?  

In reply to Moira Kelly

Re: Any comments on the quality of the analysis?

by Vanessa Laura Chiappa -

In response to Moira’s post, I thought I might focus more on how the data was analysed and in particular what the researchers meant by thematic analysis. The paper clearly states that interviews were analysed thematically, beginning with identification of patterns in the data coded by 2 raters. The coding frame was adapted as the interviews progressed with the ‘appropriateness of the coding frame checked through progressive iterations and reapplied to earlier transcripts as it developed’. I thought this was explained very clearly, and allowed for information and ideas picked up in subsequent interviews to dictate how previous interviews were coded in order to identify common themes and patterns.

For me, this describes a way of trying to merge the ‘data’ from the interviews (the ideas and comments expressed regarding barriers and facilitators to disclosing domestic violence) into a solid group of dominant interpretive themes such as (with regard to service users and barriers to disclosure of domestic violence) ‘fear’, ‘blaming attitudes’, and ‘not recognising the behaviours as abusive’ and following on from this splitting the dominant themes into subthemes such as ‘fear disclosure will result in further violence’, ‘self-blame’ and ‘perpetrator disguising the abuse’. This seems the best method of assimilating the varied information presented in interviews into a recognisable set of patterns and ideas. Deviant cases were analysed (cases holding information deemed discrepant with overall analysis) and at the end of the analysis, concept maps were developed to represent data in a visual format. This was a very clear and easy to understand way to display the data collected from the interviews as it mapped all the themes that had emerged from the data after complete analysis. Overall I think the researchers were very clear in how they analysed the data and the themes and patterns that emerged.

In reply to Vanessa Laura Chiappa

by Sultana Azam -

I agree with Vanessa, I also liked the concept maps, thought that they were very clear representations of the data. 

Being new to qualitative research analysis, it was quite easy to follow what they meant by 'coding frame' etc 

It did mention some differences in agreement, 81% agreement and only 20% of the coding was cross checked. 

I think the research methods were appropriate, particularly as this was a new study. 

I would suggest that any further research be more diligent when analysing the data. I think with qualitative research it can be easy to misinterpret or misplace data compared to quantitative research. 

In reply to Sultana Azam

by Moira Kelly -

Really useful comments about the use of thematic analysis in the Rose paper.  Thematic analysis is used in a lot of qualitative research as a first stage which is really useful in describing the data.   Many researchers then identify research questions from doing the thematic analysis that they use to explore in more depth, usually drawing upon the theoretical literature.   An example of this is a study of prescribing practice in primary care by Britten et al.  Their initial analysis showed how many patients' agendas are 'unvoiced' in consultations with GPs.  Members of the research team then used the same dataset to investigate other questions, e.g.,Barry et al have drawn upon Mishler's work on how 'the voice of medicine' and 'the voice of the lifeworld' influence what gets voiced in primary care consultations.  

Barry, C., et al., Giving voice to the lifeworld.  More humane, more effective medical care?  A qualitative study of doctor-patient communication in general practice. Social Science and Medicine, 2001. 53: p. 487-505.

Britten, N., et al., Misunderstandings in prescribing decisions in general practice: qualitative study. BMJ, 2000. 320: p. 484-488.