Qualitative versus quantitative in Rose et al

Qualitative versus quantitative in Rose et al

by Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe -
Number of replies: 4

Following on from the on going discussion on sampling in the paper above, I am still uncertain if we are truly evaluating this as a qualitative paper or if we are subtly moving into critiques of the sample, methods, etc using criteria used for quantitative research.

For example, there are concerns about the representativeness of the population. My understanding of sampling in qualitative research is that it does not need to be so. In this paper, they are exploring the experiences around disclosure of domestic violence in a specific population. To some extent, they can only interview a certain population.

Similarly, the use of thematic analyses is an accepted way of analysing large amounts of qualitative data. The themes that emerge are not under the control of the researcher. Neither is any other information about the sample, like history of perpetrating violence. Is it possible to exclude all these 'outliers' without diluting the findings of the study quite significantly?
Whether we accept that their sampling, methods and analysis are appropriate, would then depend on the assessment of tranferability of the findings. Suffice to say, I'm slightly confused as to what i'm looking for in a quallitative paper.

I started a different thread to find out what other people's views are on the 'quantitative vs qualitative' criteria in critical appraisal of this paper.

In reply to Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe

Re: Qualitative versus quantitative in Rose et al

by Moira Kelly -

My post has crossed with yours Jackie! 

Picking up on your point about knowing what to look for in a qualitative study, I wonder if its worth thinking about the type of analysis presented by Rose et al in this paper and the paper by Charmaz.  Completely different topics of course but everyone had ideas about how Charmaz' analysis might be useful in understanding experiences of chronic illness, even though limitations were identified. 

What about the Rose et al paper?  How does this paper add to what you know about experiences of domestic violence in mental health service users?   What might it add to what we would learn from a survey study of the same topic?        

by Deleted user -

I think that you make a good point Jackie. The Kuper 2008 critically appraising qualitative research may be helpful in you confusion on what to look for in a qualitative paper.

It asks: 

Was the sample used in the study appropriate to its research question?

Which I think you addressed as being appropriate and answers the research question and shouldn't be based on quantity of subjects. In my opinion I feel that it is appropriate for the local population they were studying.

Were the data collected appropriate?

The data that they collected was centered on themes of why the users and professionals weren't able to appropriately discuss domestic violence, and I believe that the data they collected was able to formulate a good representation of underlying themes.

Were the data analyzed appropriately?

The data was analyzed by two raters who coded for the information and were 81% in agreement, so I think that the consistancy of the raters would prove that the data was analyzed appropriately.

Can I transfer the results to my own setting?

Yes, this study can be designed and run effectively in other settings of your choice.

Does the study adequately address potential ethical issues, including reflexivity?

In the article, there is a statement of ethical approval from the Joint South London and the Maudsley and the Institute of NHS Research Ethics Committee, but no further explanation. This could be touched on a bit more considering the mental state of the patients and implications that the study might cause.

Finally, is what the researchers did clear?

I found that this article was clear and easy to read and understand. The methods and conclusions were concise and identified the research question at hand.

Overall, I think that the Rose et al paper is a good representation of a successful qualitative research paper.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Thanks Nicole, for your detailed post. I wanted to pick on the issue of "reflexivity" and pose this question to inform my critique. Since it is hard in qualitative research to control for Researcher/Interviwer bias (Greenhalgh, 2001). Can we say that it is therefore adequate that the Researchers in this paper had appropriate ethics committe clearance, declared their interests and affiliations as well as the study limitations? 

Kesa

by Moira Kelly -

HI Jackie

I've come back to your post and thought I'd comment on some of your points about qualitative analysis.  You are right that the themes that emerge are not under the control of the researcher on one level, but on another it has to be acknowledged that the topic guide used will have some influence on what emerges.  Regarding the sample, qualitative research often takes a case study approach, looking at an issue in depth with a small sample and trying to explore and understand it.  For example, you might take an issue such as chronic pain and explore it in narrative interviews with 30 people attending a hospital pain clinic.  You cannot generalise from this but you can have a much better understanding of chronic pain experience in the context of people's lives. 

Moira