suffering in the chronic illness..

suffering in the chronic illness..

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

Kathy Charmaz highlighted several points in her article regarding the effects of chronic illness, which she described as loss of self”...she talks about four major consequences such as restricted lives, social isolation, being discredited and burdening others which ultimately results in to lose self identity, family strain, stigma even financial crisis...

The author also talks about how social psychological conditions rather than physical discomfort contribute to chronic illness. For example- how the diabetic old lady was mortified with her amputated left leg by a young girl in a departmental store. The whole incident was very disturbing for that old lady as well as raised a number of questions that who she was in relation to others. Here her psychological distress almost minimized her physical pain.

Another example was where a middle age woman with RA failed to cope with her work and suffered from severe depression with a feeling of uselessness and hopelessness which follows the sense of being discredited and becoming a burden.

On the other hand, there were few patients who struggled with the illness also with the society for social acceptance. For example the young girl with RA who reported against the teacher who underestimated her for a particular task.

The initial language of suffering is almost similar nearly in all cases, however, patients with chronic illness gradually goes through the period of “self discovery” and tries to overcome the fact that life is not the same.

In a nut shell, the psychosocial effects of chronic illness causes more damage to the individual. And the society or the community plays a vital role in the improvement of the patient. The earlier the person gets support from the surrounding the sooner he/she shows improvement and becomes hopeful for a new start.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: suffering in the chronic illness..

by Deleted user -

I totally agree with you that the society plays the main role in forming the new life of the chronically ill patients. These patients used to have different lifestyle from which they used to have before their illness. Also, These patients become more sensitive to words about them and feel themselves a burden on the people around them. I think that the chronically ill patients need support and encouragement in order to accept their new life and be able to go through their illness.

In reply to Deleted user

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

Hi guys, I agree society does have a role in forming a new life or new 'self image' for people as Charmaz discusses. However, its important to realise she is only looking at it from that perspective. She states in her paper that she is looking at it from the 'symbolic interactionis perspective' in which self is social and changes throughout life influenced by social interaction & experience. She says this builds up the attributes of your 'self'.

But, what about viewing self from another perspective? like a constructionist perspective where it is the individual who builds their own self? Then you could say that someone spends a lifetime constructing their own 'self', presenting this self image to others. from this perspective, illness shatters the self they have constructed as others now view them differently. Therefore they must undergo 'self discovery' and reconstruct self to put accross a new persona.

Personally, I think its a combination of the two. I think self is social and society therefore shapes it but people can also present the 'self' that they want in different crcumstances

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I agree with you Esha!

Psychological support and encouragement is of grave importance for people who suffer a chronic disease. Although their life may not be the same as before, the support from relatives and the society in general will give them a new lease on life and a better self-esteem. But I think that, in terms of society and more specificaly of social and health departments of a society improvements are necessary so that people who suffer a chronic illness are not considered as burden and thus being given occupational opportunities or an array of recreational activities. Even simple things may be helpful.