Children expressed emotions when disclosing maltreatment

Children expressed emotions when disclosing maltreatment

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

After reading the paper of Shaw and Bailey about the discourse analysis, I found very challenging to get familiar with the terms of discourse analysis in micro-, meso- and macro- level. Micro- level studies allow the researchers to appreciate the cultural and communicative patterns which inform his or her behaviour. Micro- level studies look at face-to face talk. Meso- level studies emphasize more on the connections with broader social and cultural contexts. Additionally, macro- level studies tend to involve the study of language and ideology in society.

The paper I found very interesting  was http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0145213408001713 and it is about emotional expressivity in children when disclosing maltreatment.  The method of the study was that children, who had been removed from home by child protective services due to suspicions of maltreatment, had a videotaped interview. These videotaped interviews were coded and the results were pretty interesting. Generally, it was expected that during their disclosures, child victims will be highly distressed and show negative emotional reactions. However, the findings were surprising. Most of the children displayed neutral affect when they discussed abuse incidents. Especially, children, who had a greater number of prior abuse allegations, appeared less upset when discussing the abuse.

The findings are important for understanding how children react emotionally when they disclose abuse in forensic interviews and in clinical interviews as well.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Children expressed emotions when disclosing maltreatment

by Deleted user -

this is very interesting.

"Expression of negative emotions in maltreated children

It has been suggested that maltreated children learn that expression of negative emotions, like anger or distress, is unacceptable in certain contexts and could cause harm to themselves or family members (Briere, 1992; Cole, Zahn-Waxler, & Smith, 1994). Such children may employ strategies for managing negative emotions, such as hiding their emotional states from others in situations potentially related to abuse. During forensic interviews, this suppression of negative emotional display may contribute to stunted or neutral affect when children are discussing their abuse incidents with interviewers. This possibility is congruent with studies showing that maltreated children are likely to be dissuaded from expressing their feelings openly within the family and that they often use coping strategies to reduce emotional awareness (Briere, 1992; Cole et al., 1994; Harter, 1998), both of which may result in a neutral emotional display." because i really wouldn't expect the more abused children to be expressive. Abusers generally aim to dominare, and the longer a child has been exposed to one, the quicker they learn survival mechanism. Very very study, none the less. Like you also, am confused how to classify this approach. I do feel it's most like a meso-level approach, since its emphasis is on the broader social and cultural context. I.e. what does this communication mean in a broader sense. I may be wrong, of course.             

In reply to Deleted user

by Storm Parker -

I agree this is a really interesting study. Perhaps this study is a mico-level study, as it is look at the interactions between the child and the interviewer?  If the person talking to the child was changed to another professional e.g. a doctor, teacher etc, then it is likely that the way they disclose would change. I wonder if the use of a video-recorder changed the children’s behaviour, for example by making them more self conscious.

In reply to Deleted user

by Sandeep Suryadevara Rao -

I agree that this is a very interesting study. I am somewhat less surprised by the findings and I think the reduced emotional expression could be a result of an abused child 'dissociating'. This dissociation is a survival mechanism, to protect the psyche from the extreme emotional trauma (during the time of abuse). So when discussing the abusive events, the child may virtually see the event as though it happened to somebody else.

If discourse analysis could be used to reliably identify patterns of behaviour that differ between abused / non-abused children it could be very useful for offering clues for health professionals to look out for, when dealing with children.

A massive change of behaviour could be expected when an abuser enters the room that the child is in, which may help to raise suspicions amongst staff caring for children (in hospital for example). Im not sure if further study in these areas would change practice however