Alcohol and Student culture: role of the media

Alcohol and Student culture: role of the media

by Krishni Ratnam -
Number of replies: 1

Sorry this is a bit late in the day. I think I could come up with a few more questions but this is what i have so far

Alcoholism amongst undergraduates: the role of popular media

Alcohol is one of the biggest public health concerns facing the UK today. With increasing levels of hospital admissions (a figure which has doubled from 2003 to 2009) and more people opting for alcohol addiction treatment, it’s increasingly a drain on health resources, one which should and could be made avoidable. One of the key cultures where alcohol predominates is within universities. Universities being the establishment where people can get some of the highest educational attainments possible, it’s easy to conclude that people who attend university are some of the smartest in the country, yet studies have shown that the student population is one of the populations where they have a higher intake of alcohol per week than compared with the rest of the population, This has been shown through not only statistics/papers but is evident through popular media too which has long established it as almost one of the pillars of student culture.

The aim of this research is to investigate

• why students drink
  • what their understanding of alcohol and its effects are
  • do certain degrees predispose students to drink more/less
  • What were the students’ preconceived ideas about the alcohol culture surrounding university, possibly through the media, and subsequently its impact.

Interview layout

-          What degree are you taking?

-          What year of study are you in currently?

-          Do you drink alcohol at all?

If no

-          Have you done so in the past

-          Why do you choose not to?

-          Have you ever felt compelled to drink?

-          Are you aware of what the weekly amount of units you can drink for your gender?

If yes

-          Have you done so in the past prior to coming to university?

-          Why do you choose to drink alcohol?

-          Are you aware of what the weekly amount of units you can drink for your gender

-          Do you think you drink a safe amount each week?

-          Do you feel the need to control the amount you do drink?

-          How much do you drink approximately per week?

-           Did you expect to drink at all/to your current level upon entering university?

-          Before entering, what were your initial ideas about how university was going to be like, particularly around how alcohol is part of the culture?

-          Do you feel the media has influenced you in any way at all when it comes to drinking at university?

In reply to Krishni Ratnam

Re: Alcohol and Student culture: role of the media

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Krishni

The questions you listed here are very interesting. Many of them are 'demographic' questions e.g. age, what subject studying, and so on. Those will help you produce a 'table of interviewee characteristics' for your research paper.

The questions I find most interesting are the QUALITATIVE questions such as 'Why do you drink alcohol?'. There are actually a lot more closed questions in this list than open questions, so I suspect you are probably naturally a 'quantitative' researcher who would really like to design a survey which students could complete by filling in boxes, and not much free text. This type of research is very useful for answering quantitative questions such as 'what proportion of students drink to excess?' or 'do the science students drink more than the arts students?'.  

But the WHY questions are best answered, at least initially, by open-ended interviews in which you ask a question and record the person's (longish) response. 

Maybe think about some more 'why' and 'how' questions?