Anorexia Nervosa

Anorexia Nervosa

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

The topic I chose last week was Anorexia Nervosa and I would like to carry on with this.

Western manifestations of the disorder and the dissemination of Western values regarding thinness is primarily responsible for the development of Anorexia Nervosa in non-Western contexts.(Elizabeth Rieger et al).

I think that cross-cultural aspects of Anorexia Nervosa, emerged in the last decades, have received considerable attention.

Lee(1995) claims that there are differences in the cross-cultural presentation of Anorexia Nervosa regarding weight concerns.

The aim of my research would be to explore how the views regarding Anorexia Nervosa vary within different cultures. I would choose to do this research in Greece, where there are different districts with immigrants. I would try to report the attitudes of non-Western cultures regarding Anorexia using the qualitative interviewing techniques. My sample would be normal weight females at the age of 20-35 years.

Topics:

perception of Anorexia Nervosa in non-Western cultures

perception of food intake

risks / motives of loosing weight

Questions:

1.Where are you from?

2. Do you know about Anorexia Nervosa? What do you think it is?

3.How important is food for you?

4.What is a daily food intake like in your family?

5.If you had the opportunity to buy once a week food for free, what would your preference be?

6.Have you ever heard about incidents of Anorexia Nervosa in your hometown?

7.Is there any kind of support to the people who suffer Anorexia?(family,state etc..)

8.Do these people face stigmatization? If yes, in what terms?(friendship, working environment, family etc)

9.Do you think that those you suffer Anorexia admit their problem and ask for help?

10.Do you watch TV? Is there an actress/singer you admire?

11.Why do you think is Anorexia so popular in our days? Do rolemodels influence women in losing weight and wishing the perfect body?

12.Do you like your body or would you like to lose some weight?

13.Would you respect yourself more if you were thinner?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Anorexia Nervosa

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Nice list! If you wanted to improve these, go trhough and check that EVERY question is non-leading i.e. doesn't push the person towards one answer or another

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Anorexia Nervosa

by Deleted user -

Very interesting post, I like it! Can we take an interview for models as a special group? Because models always have more access to meet different kinds of cluture due to their work's needs and they are in one of main surffered groups in society. So I think we can get lots information form their response.