Why is maternal mortality commoner in developing countries?

Why is maternal mortality commoner in developing countries?

by Sultana Azam -
Number of replies: 2

http://data.worldbank.org/news/over-99-percent-of-maternal-deaths-occur-in-developing-countries

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(06)68397-9/fulltext

Many causes of maternal mortality are potentially avoidable. There are various community based projects that are aiming to reduce maternal mortality rates. 

Research Qs.

What are the social factors that affect maternal mortality rates in the developing world?

Aim.

To identify factors that contribute to a high maternal mortality rate in developing countries compared to developed countries.

Questions... 

What are the commonest causes of maternal mortality?

What do you think is the reason for such a high rate in the developing world?

What do you think should be done to combat this issue?

How does the community/health system currently deal with this problem?

What are the current guidelines for preventing maternal mortality?

Is there enough public awareness of this issue?

What are the logistical implications of emergency situations in childbirth?

Who are the health professionals mainly involved in childbirth and preventing complications?

Are the women educated in the complications of childbirth?

Is there enough access to medications/services that could prevent such high rates?

What preventative measures are taken to reduce the high rates?

There is a three delay model which can provide an explanation.. 

1) Delay in decision to seek care

2) Delay in reaching care

3) Delay in receiving care

Hope that's correct! It's taken me a while to come up with a topic. 

Sultana 

In reply to Sultana Azam

Re: Why is maternal mortality commoner in developing countries?

by Deleted user -

Thank you Sultana, for choosing this significant topic. During my BSc i came across the statistics of maternal mortality rate in developing countries and I was prompted to research indicators of prevalent rates of maternal mortality. As a result i found out that in case of Georgia (which is a developing country) there are two main factors affecting maternal mortality: lack of population awarness of this issue and lack of access to professional medical care during childbirth, especially in rural areas.

I was wondering, who you might interview. Does your sapmling frame involves health professionals or randomly selected population? 

Nino

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Why is maternal mortality commoner in developing countries?

by Moira Kelly -

This is a good project outline.  You've got some good ideas for questions.  In terms of developing your ideas, how about taking one of the questions e.g. 'Are the women educated in the complications of childbirth?' and desconstructing it a bit.  For example, could you explore the different forms of education the women might have experienced including hearing about childbirth from family members, at school etc.?