interview on Child Sexual Abuse...

interview on Child Sexual Abuse...

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

Well I  am not sure this is what was wanted or I have included everything ....

Child sexual abuse is now a major social problem and the main cause of many people sufferings and behavioural imbalance. The impact of sexual abuse ranges from no effect to very severe outcome. Classically, those children who experience the most serious types of abuse that is abuse involving family members and high degrees of physical force. These children later in life show signs of several psychological problems..

Previously, it was thought that a child is safe in his / her own house when surrounded by family members. However, a number of incidences have shown the majority of sexual offenders are family members. This raises the questions who are the perpetrators of child sexual abuse? Though it’s difficult enough to collect precise statistics on the prevalence as well as type of offenders involved because of underreporting.

Topics related:

1. Causes of CSA
  2. Offenders of CSA.
  3. Victims of CSA
  4. After effect / long term effects of CSA.

Questions (semisturctured qualitative)

1. Why do you come for this interview?
  2. What do you mean by child sexual abuse?
  3. What are places where a child can be safe?
  4. Who do you think are usually the offenders? Family members/ someone known / strangers?
  5. Did you ever come across any incidence like CSA in your childhood? If yes then would you please describe the event in short?
  6. If yes, Then who was the offender was it someone from your family or someone stranger to you?
  7. What do you think what are the signs that a child is being abused (by a family member/ a stranger)?
  8. How does your family view your child sexual abuse (if already informed to the family)?
  9. What are impacts of CSA in your life?
  10. In your opinion how can prevent a child from abuse?
  11. What are the roles of schools and community social works in the case of CSA?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: interview on Child Sexual Abuse...

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

I think this is a really interesting topic to research but i can imagine it would be very difficult.

The ethical issues that an interview surrounding child sexual abuse may bring up and the amount of communication skills and interview training the interviewrs would need is huge. The answers you get may not be very honest as for many, this topic is still taboo. The nature of the questions may also draw out biased answers with interviewees wanting to please the researcher giving the 'right answer'. Some questions like 'Did you ever come across any incidence like CSA in your childhood? If yes then would you please describe the event in short?' could also put interviewees in a very difficult and awkward position.

I personally think that this topic would be better suited to an anonymous survey study. However, you may loose some of the issues and ideas people would raise in the interviews.

What do others think?

In reply to Joseph Daniel Jameson

by Deleted user -

thnk you very much joseph.. well i agree with you..answers may not be honest.and due to the social disclosure. howver i think if we start talking about this issue openly many of them may come up and help us.. i dn knw its just an assumption..:)

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Very interesting post Esha! There are many ways that people experience the harm that results from having been sexually abused, such as self-esteem, body, Sexuality and others. So the urget situation needs to be changed. I agree with joseph. Some quesions may be very difficult and awkward to respond, so can we divide the interview into twp parts? Part one is for some general quesions and part two is for some people want to go on with interview after they have seen the more sensitive quesions (we can give questionnaire when they have finished the part one). I think it is more acceptable for them and less awkward positon than when you asked these sensitive quesions as compulsory quesions.

In reply to Deleted user

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Good thread here!  We want to find out about child sexual abuse BUT interviewing people might not give us acccurate data.  But maybe we can ask less directly about such things e.g. NOT ask 'were you ever abused?' but perhaps 'have you ever heard a story about a child who had a bad experience with an adult?' etc etc

Keep talking about the ethical issues, this is key!  How might such an interview lead to HARM as well as research data?