Weight Matters: Society torn between past, present and HIV

Weight Matters: Society torn between past, present and HIV

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

Growing up in Botswana I have observed how society has overtime developed divergent perceptions about a woman’s body weight. For instance, a young Motswana woman who maintains an extremely slim figure would most likely be seen by a more traditionalistic person as not being  ‘proper’ or not being ‘traditionally built’. In the era of HIV, she also risks being suspected of having HIV or some sort of dreadful illness. However If she suddenly gained excess weight she might probably be thought to have been rejuvenated by ARVs (another perception).

On the other hand a more modern perhaps urbanized Tswana community would highlight a heavy weight as a health concern whilst judging a slim build as ‘attractive or desirable’ provided she has no obvious physical illness signs. These perceptions however would vary between men and women.

I came across this article (which I found very interesting) by a Medical Anthropologist with a research project in the north of the country. Her research seeks to establish the connections between gender, fertility, weight & culture and how these could possibly accelerate Botswana’s HIV prevention efforts. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13552074.2010.524425

I look forward to hearing about your experiences and thoughts.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Weight Matters: Society torn between past, present and HIV

by Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe -

Hi Kesa,

Fascinating stuff! I've briefly looked at the paper you mentioned and the commentary makes for quite interesting reading. I grew up in Kenya and the constant beratement from my female elders for being too small came flooding back to me. The similarites in these african cultures facing the scourge of HIV/AIDS  is interesting. There is the definite influence of western ideals of beauty and success embodied by the slim built, gym going woman versus traditional views around fertility and being 'fat'.

My formative years in Kenya definitely reflected the idea of one been too thin and having 'ukimwi' (AIDS) whereas that sentiment hasnt been evident in more recent years. I found the comment in the paper around abdominal fat really telling as this is a traditional sign of health and virility. It has even been an aspirational figure associated with wealth. To medical minds this couldn't be further from our current thinking with increased health risks associated with increased waist circumference. I'm curious, do they have similar health promotion campaigns like 'active for life' and if so, how do they go down in a social context?

Jackie

In reply to Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe

Re: Weight Matters: Society torn between past, present and HIV

by Deleted user -

Thanks Jackie, the weight stereotypes seem consistent across Sub Saharan Africa. More contemporary views are springing up though. More people particulalry in urban/semi urban areas have either gym memberships  or can be seen jogging along footpaths. There is also a growing cycling culture though it is still confined to cycling clubs.  Some awareness is also spreading to the other generations especially with the increasing cases of CVDs and diabetes etc.

The abnominal fat deposits I gather, is connected with the side effects of  ARV type protease inhibitors. There is such an aggressive HIV/AIDS education stance in the country and I guess most people have some general knowledge on the topic

Thanks for having a look at the paper, it is long but its loaded with so many findings that even as a Motswana was oblivious of.