Hookah/Narghile smoking in society and its consequences

Hookah/Narghile smoking in society and its consequences

by Sultana Azam -
Number of replies: 2

The hookah/shisha/narghile/water-pipe for those who don't know, is a method of smoking using flavoured tobacco and a water pipe. This practise is very common throughout the Middle East and is increasingly becoming popular amongst populations outside the Middle East.

As part of the culture, the act of smoking the hookah has been going on for centuries. To my understanding, it originated from Turkey and spread to the Middle Eastern countries during the Ottoman expansion. It therefore has important cultural, anthropological and historical aspects to the habit.

Similarly to smoking, it has become a 'fashionable' habit and is commonly considered as a part of everyday social events. The scenarios often seen are young smokers starting to smoke the hookah at a very young age and continuing throughout their lives. Some studies claim that hookah smoking is not 'as bad' as cigarette smoking. However, it is these health behaviours and attitudes that I think are dangerous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8214097.stm

In reply to Sultana Azam

Re: Hookah/Narghile smoking in society and its consequences

by Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe -

Hi Sultana,

I've always wondered about the health implications of shisha smoke. To be honest, my understanding of the practice comes mainly from patients who live in the Edgware road area. They insist its only harmless fruit herby stuff. The bbc link suggests otherwise. Out of interest, is much known about this social practice and the link with infectious diseases like TB?

In reply to Sultana Azam

Re: Hookah/Narghile smoking in society and its consequences

by Deleted user -

Hi Sultana,

I find your post very interesting because I was once at a Hookah bar in America (where you are supposed to be 18 to engage in any tobacco use) and witnessed a child, nearly 10 years of age also smoking the hookah. The establishment did not stop the behaviour, whether they knew about it wasn't to my knowledge, but the parents of the child were not trying to hide the fact that their child was taking part in the activity. I would assume that a behaviour such as this, at such a young age would be dangerous to ones health. Although socially acceptable for certain cultures, it may not be the best thing for ones health.

Thank you for the article.

Nicole