Plastic surgery boom

Plastic surgery boom

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

It is human nature that all of us should be fond of beauty. Nowadays, more and more people begin to passively evaluate their appearances due to some social factors. The advanced plastic technology offers people who want to improve looks. Since the boom of plastic surgery coming, a series of mental illness and physical illness has been a huge growth.

Today, people are more concerned about comments about their looks form other people than the own satisfaction. There are all related to social impacts. According to some surveys, people with good looks are easier to occupy the dominants in social communication. In addition, having outstanding looks always can get more access to work and we can find that some work requirements specify the appearance condition.  As I know some fanatical fans have done plastic surgery many times for getting looks like idols. It is suitable way to show that people get obsessive-compulsive disorder and ‘’addiction” in cosmetic, it’s all serious harms to the mental health. Otherwise, Plastic surgery can bring huge risk in terms of the body so that many people have many sequelae, such as prosthesis rejection, permanent disability which has bring a lot of inconvenience in future life. Some surgeries even led people deaths through some infections.

But we cannot deny that plastic surgery will bring some positives in sometimes. People can regain confidence and return to normal circles of society to those who are disfigured by accidents. In addition, having good job is still a big temptation.

I do not agree with the surgery behaviors, but social factors are impossible to ignore. How to get relatively balanced relationship between them is still a challenging problem.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Plastic surgery boom

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

I love it Huan!  Here's a challenge - find an academic paper on this topic as I suspect the sociologists will have written lots about it.

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

Re: Plastic surgery boom

by Deleted user -

Yeah, I find a lot of papers about this topic, such as a paper from psychologist Alan Feingold, PhD, in the March 1992 issue of APA's Psychological Bulletin (Vol. 111, No. 2, pages 304-341)., which illustrates cosmetic surgery affect those around the recipients.

In some cases, psychologists can play important roles to helping surgeons select cosmetic patients who really need to do it and I think it’s an effective method to reduce some unnecessary surgeries. After all, surgeries run plenty of risks accompanied.