Pub Closure and Alcohol-related Illness

Pub Closure and Alcohol-related Illness

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 10

I’ve been rather surprised by the number of pubs closing down in London, some boarded up and others quickly being converted into luxury apartments. Initially I thought perhaps this was a very positive move to reduce the number of people drinking, and could ultimately decrease the number of alcohol related health problems encountered in society, such as addiction, liver cirrhosis, etc.

Possible triggers for this may include licensing laws and the smoking ban. At the same time I have noticed the number of incentives to buy alcohol increasing. There are frequently “2 for 1” supermarket offers on beer multipacks, and cheap drinks with a high alcohol content available in off licences, and so on.

Pubs previously played an important role in society. Before the age of the Internet and social media, it was common for people to meet in the pub after work, talk about their day, have a game of snooker or even complain about their spouses. Some people with limited social contact during the day could meet new people, or at least feel satisfied being in the company of others. If someone was drinking too much, concerned friends could kindly point out that maybe they’d had enough for that night, and if they had gone too far, the pub landlord could request that they leave.

I feel that bars and nightclubs are quite “anonymous” and drinking by individuals is far less monitored than it was previously. Without a regular place to visit, many people will be drinking at home, with many encouraged by lucrative supermarket offers etc. People susceptible to alcohol addiction may start to develop drinking problems, but this time alone, within the confines of their homes. Older drinkers may feel isolated, depression could go unnoticed and chronic alcohol disease increase.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Is pub closure a positive move that will ultimately lead to a decrease in alcohol related illness? Or conversely, will it lead to wider problems in society?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Pub Closure and Alcohol-related Illness

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Sarah 

This is a most interesting example. In relation to eating and obesity, Patricia Crotty once wrote ‘the act of swallowing divides nutrition’s “two cultures”, the post swallowing world of biology, physiology, biochemistry and pathology, and the pre-swallowing domain of behaviour, culture, society and experience’ (1).

In a sense, this is also true of alcohol!  Just as eating is a social act, going to the pub is also a social act. Of course, different groups in society attend different pubs and pattern their drinking differently (I'm thinking of me versus my kids here!), BUT the idea that 'the pub' (with its various norms and expectations for what gets drunk, how often and with whom) gets replaced with 'alcohol consumption by supermarket offer' is potentially alarming. 

What do others think?

[1] Crotty, P. (1993) The value of qualitative research in nutrition, Annual Review of Health and Social Sciences, 3, 109–118.

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

by Deleted user -

I totally agree with Sarah and Trish .. previously pub was a place for entertainment. However, due to declined number of pubs people are becoming more alone and socially isolated (indirectly) resulting from depression, alcohol related diseases, etc..

Dr. Esha Farooqe

Applicant ID- 120729333

In reply to Deleted user

by Tahir Mir -

Good post Sarah!

I understand that as time passes trends change. The younger generation have come to choose bars and clubs over pubs. I part disagree with your opinion on bars and nightclubs being anonymous and less monitored. I don’t think substituting a bar for a pub will necessarily have an impact on alcohol consumption. Yes, a bar has a different vibe to a pub but the social interactions that take part in both are the same. The ease of buying alcohol at cheap prices is frightening. There should be more regulation in alcohol marketing in order to control alcohol consumption and in return have an impact on the number of alcohol related illnesses. Additionally, I don’t think it’s as simple as that!

In reply to Tahir Mir

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Tahir

I don't disagree with that you're saying but let's examine how you're saying it!  Are you applying any of the sociological theories/approaches we briefly introduced in the lecture, or are you simply stating your opinion? If the latter, how could your response to Sarah's excellent post be enhanced by things a sociologist would recognise as 'scholarship'?

Warning to all: because so few of you are trained in sociology and because sociology is about society and the way we live our lives, it's really easy to slip into 'just chatting' rather than drawing systematically on the concepts and philosophical positions of the disciplines of sociology and anthropology. 

Note however that it doesn't matter at all if you post something in this forum which is 'only opinion'. The responses are not graded, and the person who marks your essays will not know or care what you've been up to in the virtual seminar!  BUT to get in training for writing your essay, you might want to practice tricks like citing evidence to support your statements in the VS! 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I totally agree with you Sarah.

I consider alcoholism a catastrophic disease. Actually alcoholism as well as eating disorders is a "scourge" of our era.Lifestyle has changed and even the ways of socializing have changed. The advent of internet plays a significant role to this(skype, msn, facebook available). People are more isolated and alone than they were before and thus trying to find alternative ways to surpass this kind of loneliness, through alcohol, food overconsumption or even tabacco consumption.

What makes me wonder is that even young children and especially adolescents are "victims" of alcoholism due to depression or due to other psychological problems coming from family problems. Hence, younger generations usually tend to choose pubs or clubs not in order to have a good time with friends but in a contrary way, as a chance to overconsume alcohol and forget potential personal problems.

Regulations on the other hand, are still not so stict in many countries and there are bars that don't even control who is drinking, his/her age and how much s/he drinks.

Many people, both adolescents and adults, are stigmatised as alcoholics and they are eventually facing discrimination in their social or working environment. Let alone the fact that these persons usually develop aggressive behaviours.

But then again, how could anyone expect that this trend would change?Or that "self-management" would be an option given all these socio-economic problems many countries are facing?It is a fact that even today that some or all forms of alcohol advertising are banned in countries, alcohol consumption gets higher and higher.

According to all these, I tend to believe that the reasons for alcoholism are not, any more, only psychological. The lion's share of alcohol dependence goes to socio-economic problems which urge people to addictions regardless their caste.This in turn makes me feel skeptic on how amenable to education and other possible solutions this "scourge" would be!? What do you think?

In reply to Deleted user

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Andriani

I can see you have a strong opinion on this topic. See my previous posting. Can you cite any evidence for any of the statements in your posting? Perhaps quote a paper?

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

by Deleted user -
  •  Socio-economic status and problem alcohol use :the positive relationship between income and  DSM-IV alcohol abuse diagnosis, Katherine M.Keys and Deborah  S Hasin.
  • Global status report on alcohol 2004, by World Health Organisation Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, Geneva 2004

In reply to Deleted user

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Great - well done!  The next stage is to weave the academic evidence into your arguments. For example "As xx and yy say in their paper, self-management of alcohol-related problems is particularly challenging because..."

and so on!

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Although we cannot deny that pub is a primary and good place of socializing for people who are alone, there are more disadvantages than benefits it brings to people.

Some people who have daily pressures consume more than what they are capable of holding in, they may display aggressive tendencies and get violent when in intoxication. In addition, a lot of traffic accidents are due to drunken driving in pub’s revelry.