All about LAW!

All about LAW!

by Caroline Lisser -
Number of replies: 0

I appreciate that already studying for your MA, not many of you may want to continue with 2 more years of study to be a lawyer, but just in case there are one or two of you who would like to find out more, I include urgent information on Law events for you:

EXPLORING CAREERS IN LAW... FOR NON-LAW STUDENTS, THURSDAY 19th October 6.15 - 7.45pm
Room: LAWS 210

This Panel Discussion and Q&A involves recent QMUL alumni from the Schools of History and English & Drama who are currently working as lawyers.
The discussion will focus on what being a lawyer involves, the different routes to achieving a law career and top tips for how to get the career you want... starting from your time at QM.

Confirmed Panellists:

Michael Zamecnik,  
Michael graduated from QMUL with a BA in History in 2014. During his 2nd year, he had the opportunity to spend a year on academic scholarship at the University of Melbourne in Australia. After graduating in July 2014, he participated in a number of summer vacation schemes and assessment centres, and was offered a Training Contract with Squire Patton Boggs, a US law firm. 
As a non-law student, he was then sponsored by my Firm to study the Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course, which I completed in 2015 and 2016, respectively. Before starting at SPB this September, I worked as a Legal Analyst at LexisNexis UK and as an International Arbitration Paralegal at Winston & Strawn (UK) LLP.   For the first seat rotation of the Training Contract,  he has been sent by my Firm on a client secondment (no pressure!) to Live Nation Entertainment Inc., the world's largest live entertainment company.

Katie Lo graduated from QMUL with a BA in History in 2013, she spent 2 years at the University of Law taking the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) & the Legal Practice Course (LPC), before starting her traineeship at Pinsent Masons.  Katie qualified as an Intellectual Propery Lawyer in August 2017.

Kerry Webster graduated from QMUL with a BA in English in 2014, before undertaking the GDL and LPC at BPP – with a brief six month stint in South America in between!  Kerry is now in her third 'seat' (and will explain what that means on the night!), having begun her training contract at 'Magic Circle' law firm, Allen & Overy in August 2016. She has also had 'seats' in Derivatives & Structured Finance (International Capital Markets), Leveraged Finance (Banking) and Banking, Finance & Regulatory Litigation. In parallel with her role as a trainee, she is also a mentor to young people who, like herself, are the first in their family to go to university. Through Allen & Overy she also volunteers at two free legal advice centres and participates in a number of initiatives developing young childrens’ financial literacy.

WE ARE STILL WORKING ON GETTING A BARRISTER ON THIS YEAR'S PANEL & WILL UPDATE THE INFO HERE IF WE ARE SUCCESSFUL

Last year this event was oversubscribed... so book now! 
This event is deliberately timed, to better equip you to attend the QMUL Law Fair on 30/31 October... so book for that too! SEE BELOW... 

MORE LAW: 
Preparing for the Law Fair: 24th October, 6 - 8pm.   Really important, last few places left, waitlist if necessary:

QUEEN MARY LAW FAIR... employers & law schools on campus
30 & 31 October, 3.00  -7.00 pm
MORE DETAILS & BOOKING LINK: https://qmul.targetconnect.net/leap/event.html?id=3527&service=Careers+Service

INVITATION TO LINKLATERS LAW INSIGHT EVENT:

From a shifting geopolitical landscape to the exponential growth in FinTech, this is a time of unprecedented change. At Magic Circle law firm Linklaters, we’re ready.  We’re hosting an exclusive presentation open to both law and non-law students to share market-leading insight, innovation and inspiration and provide an invaluable opportunity to ask questions of our Partners, Trainees and Graduate Recruiters.  You can go on to apply for our first-year insight programme, join a Vacation Scheme or start as a Trainee, and you’ll find we offer outstanding, career-long training.

When: Wednesday 18th October 18:00-21:00. Where: One Silk Street, London (Linklaters' HQ)

Sign up? use the following link: http://ocply.co/links18-qmul-event    (once you have signed up this, add yourself to the event page on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/events/277935602710028/?ti=ia)    Make sure you sign up as quickly as possible as spaces are limited! We look forward to seeing many of you there.