POST TO FORUM: What are we trying to achieve?

Number of replies: 8

Please post a brief comment to share with other learners. Click on "reply" below to post your thoughts. Please answer these 2 questions in your post:

1. What is your role in these conversations? Please post a sentence or two describing what you think your role is when you talk with someone who is hesitant about having the Covid Vaccine. What are you trying to achieve?

2. How do these conversations make you feel? You may also wish to share a few thoughts about how these conversations make you feel; or how you imagine they might make you feel. Are you anxious, frustrated, angry, excited?

In reply to First post

Re: POST TO FORUM: What are we trying to achieve?

by Catrin Sohrabi -
1. What is your role in these conversations? Please post a sentence or two describing what you think your role is when you talk with someone who is hesitant about having the Covid Vaccine. What are you trying to achieve?

I feel our role as individuals working in healthcare is to at least provide the individual with information regarding what is currently known surrounding vaccines. I do not think we should judge, or force a person to do something that they do not want to do, but share our thoughts on what the data shows, why something is beneficial, and why we recommend it it. In light of this information, the individual can make their own informed choice. I feel we are trying to achieve a state where we give factual information, to allow the person to make their own choice.

2. How do these conversations make you feel? You may also wish to share a few thoughts about how these conversations make you feel; or how you imagine they might make you feel. Are you anxious, frustrated, angry, excited?

The less I know about a topic, the more uncomfortable I feel speaking about it. I think if I knew a fair amount about vaccine hesitancy, and how this affects people, what is currently going on in the world, then I would be much more confident in communicating this information. I don't think they'd make me angry or frustrated, and I feel ultimately we have to be understanding of another person's opinions,  thoughts, and ideas.
In reply to First post

by Shruthi Infanta Rayen -
1) Our role is to first of all listen to the concerns / questions the patients may have regarding the vaccine. There is a lot of misinformation and uncertainty surrounding the vaccination programme, so naturally doubts will arise. In answering these questions we should provide the most current and up to date information about the vaccines and the particular vaccine they might be getting, including the pros and cons, success rate, why it is beneficial if more people are vaccinated, benefits for the individual and other members of community.
The patient can then take in this information, weight up the pros and cons and come to an informed decision based on the evidence and their personal opinion.

2) Without sufficient factual information it can be difficult to counsel patients on topics such as vaccination. If I had more information and knew more about it, it would be slightly easier to have that conversation. I can understand the doubts people have about the vaccine, so its important to address any doubts, misinformation, myths about it
In reply to First post

by Abigail Patricia Thompson -
1. Our role is to provide a link between the patient and current evidence, whether that be through answering their questions verbally and impartially, without the use of jargon - or to provide them with the tools to find the information themselves, through leaflets, or evidence based websites. I don't believe our role is to persuade or dissuade, but to allow the patient access to enough information for them to weigh up the choice and come to their own decision.

2. I have had conversations with hesitant patients during my role as a vaccinator, however all of these people had turned up to their appointment and sat in the clinic - implying a level of consent already. These conversations are usually very comfortable as I already know what the patient has decided, and they usually just want a little added reassurance on the day. I would be uncomfortable if put in a position where I was expected to change a patients mind for them, but I think if I had a few solid statistics and resources I would be a lot more comfortable in presenting this evidence to them, if I believed them to be interested.
In reply to First post

by Lauren Paige Marsh -

The role of students is to listen and engage patients in an open discussion about their concerns and questions regarding vaccines. I think it is important to consider the patient's agenda carefully and ensure that, as HCPs, we do not force our own opinions or feelings about vaccination onto patients. I feel as though we often assume our role is to try to persuade the patient to get the vaccine but from their perspective this can feel as though we are being judgemental or trying to make their decision for them. As with everything else in healthcare, the approach should be patient centred and focused on arming the patient with the important information and ultimately allowing them to come to a decision on their own, even if we do not agree with it.

Often these types of conversations can be quite challenging and also frustrating. It can be difficult if patients are fixed on misinformation or falsities they have picked up from social media or even sometimes mainstream media. It is particularly upsetting when patients are genuinely scared and have been made to be fearful by others who have their own opinions about vaccination. From the perspective of information giving, these conversations often make me a bit anxious, because I do not feel well enough equipped to fully answer all of the questions and I worry that if I do not give an adequate answer, it could influence their decision to not take up a vaccine. I feel a lot of responsibility to listen carefully to the patient to make them feel heard, but also to give them the best opportunity to make an informed decision in line with their best interests.
In reply to First post

by Lucy Dale -
1. I think the most important thing i am trying to achieve is firstly to listen to the patient and their concerns, and then address this through acknowledgement but also through providing some form of educational input that can help them to work through their concerns

2. I've only had a few conversations with people (generally - not at work) who are vaccine hesitant. When i had these conversations i felt slightly frustrated because I don't think enough educational resources and advertisements have been put out there by the government and media to encourage people to get vaccinated so many are still in the dark about the benefits and risks etc. But I enjoy telling people my thoughts.
In reply to First post

by Alessandro Conti -
1. Since the start of the national Covid vaccination campaign I have worked as a vaccinator, vaccine monitor, and patient observer across two sites in London. When talking to someone who is hesitant about having a Covid vaccine, my role is to understand their concerns and provide them with evidence-based facts to inform their decisions. However, as a vaccinator I primarily interact with people who voluntarily attend the vaccination centre, implying they are already somewhat keen to have the vaccine. I find that the other - perhaps more marginal - roles in the campaign offer the opportunity to have more impactful conversations. As a vaccine monitor, patient observer, and medical student on placement I have spoken to relatives, partners and carers who are generally younger and more hesitant about having the vaccine. In these capacities I discuss their vaccine hesitancy more informally while providing them with the same evidence-based information to inform their decisions.

2. I enjoy discussing vaccine hesitancy because I find that the majority of hesitant people have legitimate concerns which are easily allayed by providing accurate information on the vaccines. In my experience, these concerns often pertain to the safety of the vaccine or the interaction between the vaccine and their regular prescribed medication. As such, I feel stimulated by the opportunity to explore this individual's medical and personal history while providing them with references to reliable information.
In reply to First post

by Jonathan Halim -
1. My role is to listen with care, address their concerns, answer questions, provide facts and do so within my capacity and knowledge. I am trying to understand where they are coming from in terms of vaccine hesitancy and have a conversation to help them come to an informed decision.

2. These conversations often make me feel slightly anxious because I want to ensure that I am not giving the wrong information. Therefore, I frequently read up on the latest information and data which is often quite interesting and exciting for me. At the end of the day, it does make me happy that I have had a conversation with them to help them on a journey to make their informed decision.
In reply to First post

by Rhian Louise Evans -
1. What is your role in these conversations?
I think our role is primarily to listen and understand the person's reason(s) for hesitancy. Once we have this understanding it is possible to address their concerns by providing relevant/helpful information as part of a discussion about the vaccine. Ideally, I see my role in these conversations as providing relevant information that helps address/inform a person's concerns and which empowers them to make an informed decision.

2. How do these conversations make you feel?
I have never had one of these conversations in a professional context. I have family members who are vaccine hesitant (possibly anti-vax) and although I have refrained from engaging in those conversations, I have watched some of them play out on social media and seen damaging comments from all parties involved. Observing those conversations, I often felt frustrated and a little helpless. One significant anxiety for me surrounding these conversations was/is that I do not have the detailed knowledge to counteract some beliefs and may inadvertently entrench the person's beliefs by talking to the individual about their hesitancy.