HOPES AND FEARS

HOPES AND FEARS

by Patricia Greenhalgh -
Number of replies: 16

What are you hoping for out of this course?  And what are your biggest fears in week 1?  Dare to share them!

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

Re: HOPES AND FEARS

by Samuel Dafydd Rigby -

My main hopes are to develop my understanding of what healthcare is, by highlighting the consistencies and variations in practice and interpretation around the world, through reading and also meeting some of the MSc students and hearing of their experiences.

Additionally i would like very much to get to grips with the nature of gender and socioeconomic inequalities in healthcare nationally and globally.  Hopefully this would allow me to be more useful in the future in helping to break down these gaps using public and global health.

My concerns are that my writing ability may not be up to scratch with the requirements of the course, causing me to fall behind and become stressed. Which may both limit the amount i can absorb (this is always less when im stressed) in lectures/seminars and also limit my options for work in GPH in the future, if my grades are poor.

In reply to Samuel Dafydd Rigby

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

Great post Sam. Everyone will be a bit rusty at essay-writing at the beginning, but it;s like riding a bike - gets better with practice! 

Delighted to have you on the course

by Shivani Patel -

My biggest fear was/still is, being outsie my comfort zone, which is medicine!

Especially due to there being a different course structure, the essay writing and all the different modules being done simaltaneously...

I definately hope to become more confident after this course. Learning about the wider world, in all the different aspects we will cover in the modules is so exciting! 

by Deleted user -

I hope this e-mail will get me in the loop of the discussion groups which I am sure will be fun!

I share the same fear as Sam and Shivani that this course will take me beyond my comfort zone and be hard work. Another challange of life! I hope it will be a good experience at the end.

by Deleted user -

My number one fear is the essays, to be honest.

My expectation: to master essay writing. It'd be nice to have a few publications under my name, so i can look back to when i used to be absolutely terrified of academic writing. Hehehehe

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

If you haven't already, do have a look at the links below. I personally found the guidance articles to allay some of my essay writing fears. I still feel though that complete confidence is somewhat distant at this juncture.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/studyadvice/studyresources/essaays/sta-developessay.aspx

http://dissc.tees.ac.uk/Writing/writingyouressay/content.htm

http://www.rlf.org.uk/fellowshipscheme/writing/essayguide.cfm

Kesa

In reply to Deleted user

by Simona Shaygan -

Best thing from 'Writing Your Essay' is writer;s blog and that we are all the same when it comes to pulling yourself together. And is amazing how many tasks (long forgotten) present themselves in most urgent way. For me, my cupboards in the kitchen starts pleading to be cleaned (martin) and who is marting?

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

I am also quite intimidated by the essay writing! I haven't written many essays since leaving schools, and even the bits of writing we have had in Medicine are not the same as what is expected of us in this course. It will be a nice change though - I hope!

I hope that this course will give me insight into public and global health, as these are areas in which I hope to work in the future. I am hoping that I finish the course better able to think and formulate an argument, and better prepared for the future, whether it be in general practice, hospital medicine, or somewhere else entirely!

by Jack Edward Dunne -

As a BA graduate in the not too distant past, I'm quite looking forward to writing essays again.

I suspect everything else will be a bit more daunting.

p.s

I was trying to find an appropriate emoticon to accurately convey my levels of hope and fear, but got sidetracked with this (martin), who is Martin?

by Simona Shaygan -

My hopes is to lay foundations in understanding how public health system processes, what works and what not so. My hopes is to develop myself professionally as well personally and one day to register as PH professional. I believe that this particular MSc course is the right way to start with. 

My fears is like everybody's else. Essays' writing. Although I wrote maybe a hundred in BSc but in my understanding masters is completely other level and what was counted as good is BSc and just PASS in MSc and that is scary. V-.

by Yasin Fatine -

I hope, rather I know, this year will change the way I approach everything, giving me a whole new perspective on medicine and healthcare provision.

As with every year, I fear that I get the balance between academia and extra-curricular activities wrong, resulting me in having way too much on my plate at a time, but somehow getting through it all, at the expense of a bit of stress. Meh.

by Sultana Azam -

To start off with a positive note, my hopes, to become more open minded in terms of healthcare globally and how the system works! If I can understand it, I can work with and in it! 

My fear is mainly centred at essay writing and maybe saying something in a lecture/seminar that doesn't make sense or is totally wrong.

Despite my fears, it's already been an exciting week and it's been great getting to know different people from such different backgrounds.

Really looking forward to the course.

:) 

In reply to Sultana Azam

by Deleted user -

Strating with my hopes.. to become an expert in the field of public health so that i can help and improve the health system of my country..along with this get introduced with the world health system.

now my fearss...mainly essay writing and dissartation works..also language prblm.. well  inshallah I ll overcome all of them .. :) however, till now it was a exciting week , exciting people around.. really looking forward to the course...:)

Esha

by Krishni Ratnam -

Hopes- I get through all of the work in one piece and not get too stressed out!

Fears- That I won't. In all seriousness it's essay writing like everyone else and the amount of free time and how I manage it strangely. Medicine a bit more clear cut in what you have to learn whereas here I reckon there'll be alot more reading around to really appreciate the topics at hand!