LONDON: Things to do, places to go

LONDON: Things to do, places to go

by Patricia Greenhalgh -
Number of replies: 8

Post here your suggestions for things to do in London when you're not working. 

Here's one from me: the Designer Warehouse Sale happens about once a month in Finsbury Park. Get desinger clothes at a fraction of the high street prices - if you're prepared to join a few hundred other people in a massive changing room. Men's and women's on different days.

http://designerwarehousesales.com 

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

Re: LONDON: Things to do, places to go

by Samuel Dafydd Rigby -

So many things to do

Art:

Royal academy

Tate modern

Tate britain

Victoria and albert

Brick lane (street art) 

Whitechapel art gallery (good for those with global art interest generally) 

Photographers gallery

Barbican centre

Music 

Jazz = 

Ronnie scotts (11-2am £5 entry for students)

Camden jazz cafe

Vertigo (dalston)

House/electro = 

Most places in dalston

Classical = 

Southbank

Ballet = royal opera house (great lessons just adj in pineapple studios)

Cafes = 

Cafe 1001 brick lane

Tina we salute you (dalston)

Look mum no hands (old street, near smithfield)

Barbican centre

Cool old wine bar = gordons, near embankment (underground, very old) 

In reply to Samuel Dafydd Rigby

by Kabir Singh Sandhu -

London is home to the most spectacular sporting venues too; Lords Cricket Ground, Twickenham Rugby Ground and Wembley Stadium to name but a few.  These stadiums are also recognised as the home of that particular sport and you can easily spend a day there taking in all the history!  If you are into your cricket a visit to the Long Room at Lord’s is absolutely amazing! I believe the Olympic Park in Stratford may also be open to the public to wander through?

In reply to Kabir Singh Sandhu

by Jill Russell -

Hello all, I'm one of the academic advisors on the course and although I haven't met any of you yet, I'm looking forward to meeting you soon.

This weekend is London Open House.  It's an annual event that takes place on Saturday and Sunday during which hundreds of buildings not normally open to the public open their doors to visitors, including the Bank of England, East London Central Synagogue, the Foreign Office and India Office etc. etc.  It's free and there are some great opportunities for sightseeing - last year I visited the Lloyds of London building, from which you have amazing views all over the City of London.  You may have to queue for some of the more popular buildings, but it's worth it.

Further details here:

http://www.londonopenhouse.org/

Jill

In reply to Jill Russell

by Deleted user -

London has so many amazing places. I enjoy just walking around the different areas, like Mayfair, Soho, Westminster, Shoreditch etc., as well as the parks. Everyone should visit the British Museum or any of the other museums as well, after all it's free entry. Sadly, the Olympic Park has been closed due to transformation.

by Deleted user -

Hi everyone. I hope to check out the Columbia Flower Market this Sunday:

http://www.columbiaroad.info

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hi everyone!

I'll go to the Kings Road Market today. One can get an excellent organic burger there for under 5Pounds!:-)

Looking forward to meeting you all on Monday!

In reply to Deleted user

by Vanessa Laura Chiappa -

I've lived in London for 3 years now and I don't even think I've scratched the surface of all the amazing things this city has to offer, I'm always on the lookout for new tips on places to go and things to see so this thread is great.

I highly recommend catching a Shakespeare play at the Globe at some point, I think the season runs till about mid-October and its only £5 for a standing ticket and the plays I've seen have been amazing. If you're ever stuck for something to do of an evening, just rock up about an hour and a half before the play starts and they normally sell returns on the door, that's how I've always done it as they sell out quickly online. That also goes for anyone wanting to catch a musical, turn up on the day with your student ID about an hour before doors open and they normally have tickets (half-price for students!!) on the door.

Can't wait to get stuck into the course now, see you all on Monday x

by Deleted user -

There are so many things to do- the possibilities are endless!

Some of my favourites:

• The Prince Charles Cinema- I like to keep a lookout for old films showing there and there's a great atmosphere

Music:

• The Jazz Cafe (sign up for a vastly entertaining booklet every month- The Fast Show Jazz Club sketch springs to mind!) (Parkway)
  • Green Note (Parkway)- lots of variety, and a great feel to the place.
  • The Folk Dance and Song Society (Camden)- again, so much to see and get involved in!

Parks etc:

• Highgate and Hampstead Heath! Steeped in history, and breathtaking scenery! Great if you just want to get away from the busy streets- lots of walking opportunities and open spaces, make sure you visit Lauderdale House and Kenwood too!
  • The Pergola in Golders Green is another rare find
  • Spring Hill Park, Walthamstow- found this by accident on the way back from a placement! You're suddenly in the countryside! The Riverside Cafe there is a must.