tailored death: good or bad?

tailored death: good or bad?

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

Hello everyone, I am going to make the perhaps surprising suggestion that the individualization of dying that we are seeing in palliative care and that was described in the article is parallel and similar to the paradigm of increasing choice around birthing that we are encountering in obstetrics. Indeed, there is a real trend towards having an individual “birth plan”, just as there is a trend to have input into how one wishes to die. Or to at least think about it, as we are doing now. 

Although this is probably overall a positive trend, and counters the institutionalization and depersonalization that both birth and death have experienced, I think there are dangers here.

First, some patients find the choices involved overwhelming and stressful. I have especially encountered this in patients coming from less individualistic societies.

Second, there is a risk that by making dying very tailored we are implying that any deviance from the plan represents failure. And yet what is more unpredictable than how let alone when we will die?

Finally, there is a risk that tailoring death will make it more complex, not less, further increasing the need for institutionalization.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: tailored death: good or bad?

by Moira Kelly -

Thanks David.  A lot of points to reflect on here for me.  I hadn't considered it before but I would agree that the the focus on the individual is part of giving birth as well as in dying.   The way in which policy presents 'choice' to patients often frames it as giving them something.  I'm thinking of Cameron's slogan for the Health and Social Care Act 'no decision about you without you' here.  However, as you rightly point out it may be experienced as pressure by the individual or family.   Do you think people interpret this as responsibility rather than a gift? 

I'd be really interested to know more about your (and others) experiences of societies where individual choice is not the main form of decision making, and how that may impact on the work of health professionals, especially regarding 'the good death'. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: tailored death: good or bad?

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -

Great post David. I definitely agree that sometimes the individualisation of death can be overwhelming when given too much choice and therefore seen as more of a burden of responsibility rather than a gift of choice. Especially for people who may not be elderly and have not really thought in depth about exactly 'how' they'd like to die so if suddenly confronted with death and then given a choice and list of decisions to make, it may become more distressing than it needs to be.