CFA Student Scholarships

CFA Student Scholarships

by James Kilvington -
Number of replies: 0

Hi All,

Just a quick note about CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst Institute) student scholarships. 

A number of you have contacted me before now, and I haven’t responded, please accept my apologies for this, I needed to get some clarification before sending out this announcement.   

One of the reasons we hold back from making this announcement is that we recommend you do not register for the CFA level 1 examination until you have completed your course at QMUL (inc. handing in your dissertations).

Students currently attending an affiliated university, and are not currently registered for a CFA exam, are eligible to apply for a CFA Student Scholarship (we  have just three scholarships we can award this year).  A scholarship gives the recipient a waiver to the CFA’s usual enrolment, and a discounted registration fee for the level 1 CFA examination in December 2020 (the discounted fee is $400 US).

Please note, you are not eligible to apply if you are currently registered for a CFA exam and/or are waiting for results to be released.  i.e. if you have already enrolled, the CFA won’t give you a refund.

The School of Economics and Finance (not the whole university) is viewed by the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst Institute) as an affiliated university; therefore SEF students can apply for a CFA Programme scholarship.  Whilst it specifies on the CFA website:

ALL of our school’s Finance related MSc students can apply, so MSc Wealth Management, MSc Corporate Finance, MSc Banking and Finance, etc., however, please note that the School does give priority to those of our students who are taking one of our CFA pathway degrees.

In order to apply for the scholarship there is an application form on the CFA’s website which you will need to complete, the deadline for you to complete and submit the form is Wednesday 24th July.  (ignore the deadline on the CFA website, this is the date by which the School will submit the names of those students we are recommending for the awards).

The application you fill out will be sent to the school by the CFA, where it will be evaluated, and the School will put forward our recommendations to the CFA.  They will then contact you with a decision.

More details, and a link to the application form, can be found here:

https://www.cfainstitute.org/en/programs/cfa/scholarships/student

* I cannot guarantee this, but in the past it has happened that students who applied unsuccessfully for a scholarship, where offered a discount – to be honest I cannot remember what it was for, I haven’t been involved with the CFA scholarship for a few years now, it may have been a reduced membership fee – so if you are likely to want to join the CFA, it might be worth applying for the scholarship just in case they do decide to offer a reduction to you.  (Remember, no promises on this).