Benefits of EBM

Benefits of EBM

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 9

Here is a brief overview and some benefits of EBM. 

The most common definition of evidence-based medicine, that I came across when I was looking through the academic papers, was one suggested by Trisha Greenhalgh and Anna Donald and was defined as "the conscientious, explicit and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients."  In other words, evidence-based study seems to be the process of using individual clinical expertise with external clinical evidence from systematic research in order to deliver the best clinical care to patients.

One of the significant benefits of EBM is that using of the evidence based practice allows the clinician to adapt treatment to the conditions and risk–benefit profile of the individual patient, which in turn, leads to better health outcomes.  In addition, because evidence-based medicine looks at all the research that is done about a disease or treatment, using guidelines written by experts from all over the word seems to be more effective method of diagnosis and treatment.

There are a lot of examples in favor of using evidence-based medicine, which demonstrate that changes in treatment of some diseases (based on health-based practice) led to better health outcomes. For instance, resting in bed used to be recommended for many conditions. But studies have shown that it can often cause more harm than good. People who have had a heart attack, for example, do better both physically and mentally if they begin exercising as soon as they feel well enough.

According to Centre For Evidence Based Medicine  (CEBM) there are five steps, which lead to evidence-based practice: 

1. Asking Focused Questions: translation of uncertainty to an answerable question;
  2. Finding the Evidence: systematic retrieval of best evidence available;
  3. Critical Appraisal: testing evidence for validity, clinical relevance, and applicability;
  4. Making a Decision: application of results in practice;
  5. Evaluating Performance: auditing evidence-based decisions;

In addition, it is suggested that the effective practice of evidence-based medicine requires including patients in medical decision-making process, by increasing the degree of their health literacy.

However, the approach is not without its opponents. One of the main arguments against this method is its difficulty to implicate it into routine practice caused by lack of necessary skills among healthcare professionals who are struggling to act according with new guidelines.

Here are the links of BMJ article and CEBM website, which i found useful:

http://www.bmj.com/content/312/7023/71?view=long&pmid=8555924

http://www.cebm.net/?o=1014 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Benefits of EBM

by Deleted user -

Thanks Nino, very helpful, but I am going to take a position against EBM being a panacea.

First off, the standard definition that you gave, is indeed widely quoted, but belongs to Dave Sackett (I only know this because he is also Canadian), from this article:

http://www.bmj.com/content/312/7023/71

Trish Greenhalgh and Anna Donald later wrote about how this definition was incontestable, therefore could not precise enough. They proposed this definition:

‘the use of mathematical estimates of the chance of benefit and the risk of harm, derived from high-quality research on population samples, to inform clinical decision-making’ 

(http://qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/pluginfile.php/158620/mod_book/chapter/3337/JPHCGuestEditorialGreenhalghJune2012.pdf)

This is more accurate, especially because it implies that the evidence may not always be of high quality, and that it can inform or guide practice, but is often insufficient to do so without clinical judgment.

In my opinion, clinical judgment should always supersede a EMB guidelines: If I am seeing a heroin addict for the first time in 3 years, the guidelines say that I should offer a pap smear, but my gut feeling says that I should rather just sit with her, and listen. I don’t think I could find high quality evidence for this, so I challenge any EBM purist to challenge this!

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Thanks Nino for kicking this off

David - Thanks for the clarification and your take.  Please excuse me if I may sound a little ignorant for I am not from a medic/clinical background. But I was just wondering, how do you as a Doctor then strike a balance in regards to which hat to put on when a patient is sitting infront of you? And also does med school do enough to prepare Clinicians to be able to suss out what type of patient they are presented with in the limited amount of appointment time? Or does it get better with experience?

In reply to Deleted user

by Moira Kelly -

A thought from me:

Do patients need (or want) doctors to have guidelines?

How do guidelines impact on the doctor-patient relationship?

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Great ideas here! David you ve been so thorough and realistic in your argument not supporting EBM as the Pinacea of medicine. As much as i may share with your line of argument i would prefer to stay on both side as Zoe.

i was reading about the confusion between the use of paracetamol or Ibuprofen and Ibuprofen and paracetamol in treating fever in children. The application of EBM through a clinical trial showed that combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol reliefs fever faster than paracetamol alone. This resulted in establishement of a guildline which a doctor will embrace with ease. Some components of EBM is the bane of pharmacy practice now interms of drug production and dispensing.

www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/painres/download/whatis/ebm.pdf

I wouldn't dispute the fact that patient focussed interviewing is quite helpful at least given a patient some sense of being contributory to solving his health problems and then doctors drawing decisions from patients complain. We should also know that it is at this point in this approaach that quackery sets in in medical practice for incompetent doctors. Such doctors should be at the mercy of EBM guidlines.

i would suggest that the prowess and expertise of doctors in embracing medicine as an art would be needed to play in between these two tensed approaches. this really will finally depends on how good the doctor is.

In reply to Deleted user

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -

Although I understand the rationale behind EBM, I think it’s role in decision-making in the clinical environment needs further clarification as being a set of guidelines to inform current best practice based on evidence, as opposed to a set of rules that undermine the expertise of the doctor.

Medical knowledge is always expanding and evolving and I think EBM creates a platform to share this and creates a necessary level playing field for the standard of care. If doctors were left to their own devices ALL the time without a system of appraising things, progress would be slow if any was made at all.

All that said, and drawing on Moira’s comment about the impact EBM could have on the doctor patient relationship, of course there will always be outliers to any given ‘rule’, so I think it boils down to how the doctor is able to use their clinical judgment (which they have spent years training and perfecting), to strike a balance & incorporate the guidelines whilst still maintaining an amicable ‘doctor-patient’ relationship. Patients don’t want to be seen as just another number in the system after all, they want to be listened to and treated with a certain level of individuality. I believe this comes with experience, and although it may be a shock to the system of the current generation of older doctors who are used to doing things a certain way with much more autonomy, as it is being incorporated into our training as medical students, we are perhaps becoming more familiar with guidelines as well as the more psychosocial aspects of clinical care, and so it may become easier to strike this balance.

So, yes I believe strongly that medicine needs evidence based on high quality research in order to keep things moving forward as a whole. When it boils down to individual clinical scenarios that deviate from the norm however, I think doctors discretion and clinical judgement needs to be fairly weighted.

In reply to Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka

by Vanessa Laura Chiappa -

Great posts guys, and Zoe I agree strongly with your take on EBM, you’re right the key is balance!

EBM can be found in most areas of medicine now, from guidelines to treatment of emergency asthma attacks in emergency departments, to current best treatments for cancers at different stages. I believe that EBM is a solid and necessary foundation for good clinical practice. It’s an incredibly useful tool to aid clinical decision-making when coupled with the doctors own knowledge, expertise and clinical experience.

Concerns have been raised by opponents of EBM that it ‘shackles’ or ‘dumbs down’ doctors who rely too heavily on guidelines and decision-making pathways. Others have argued it could create an opening for lawyers and administrators to litigate and challenge clinical decision-making that has strayed from ‘best evidence’. These are valid concerns but in my opinion, the benefits of EBM outweigh any harms and consequently EBM is too important to simply be labelled a ‘social movement’ and disregarded. Historical examples abound about how EBM has changed clinical practice for the better, can this history and these discoveries really be labelled as anything other than progress in medical knowledge. One must of course be careful when applying ‘best practice’ guidelines to their patients, especially when basing care on an RCT that has proved a treatment beneficial in a certain population, as it may not apply to the patient sitting in front of them. Care must be individualised but having the evidence of what has worked in the past and what hasn’t to back up your decision-making can only be a good thing in my opinion.

In reply to Deleted user

by Kabir Singh Sandhu -

Hello all, I agree with all the points here – a great read.

“When confronted with an individual patient it is often hard to determine just who fits where. Surely a 25-year-old well-fed Asian college student who does not drink alcohol and who develops pneumonia is not legitimately placed in the same group as a 20-year-old white unemployed person who drinks heavily and whose nutritional intake is inadequate. EBM perforce is based on averages with the inescapable Mrs. Smith who may not fall into the Gaussian curve.”

The above passage is from a paper entitled Ethics and Evidence-Based Medicine: Is There a Conflict?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2100103/

I disagree.  Yes, patients differ in age, disease, and a plethora of other pathophysiologic factors (not to mention socioeconomic status).  And yes, EBM is often derived from a large cohort of people in a RCT and, therefore, cannot simply be applied to all individual patients.  But, ultimately, EBM is merely a list of protocols to guide clinical practice.  They were not designed to straightjacket the physician or to take the person out the patient – EBM serves as guidelines for which the physician can follow in supplementing vital experience and clinical judgment.  In my limited clinical experience, I find physicians that allow patient management to become a routine often succeed in treating the patient, but not the person.  A physician that first and foremost stamps his personality on patient management however, before following the EBM protocol, seems to fare better in the holistic management of the patient.

In reference to the above extract, a physician that mindlessly follows the EBM protocol failing to recognise the striking differences between the two men is, quite simply, not worth his salt.

In reply to Kabir Singh Sandhu

by Moira Kelly -

Lots of things to think about here.  One question that has come up for me from the discussion is how the institutional context influences how  evidence/guidelines are applied.  

This of course overlaps with the things you've covered in the health systems model.  

In reply to Moira Kelly

by Deleted user -

I do think that there is a tension between outcome-focussed guideline application and patient-focussed interviewing. sometimes, patients just want to be heard. sometimes, they are referring to a undifferentiated symptom that might have an as yet unknown cause. there are much fewer guidelines on symptoms than on diseases, just because most research occurs in tertiary care settings, and it is difficult to set up databases that link symptoms to eventual outcomes.

i think this is where the art of medicine comes in: to navigate this tension, and still project confidence to your patients. yes, it does require a lot of practice and experience. maybe that is why they call a physician's patient cohort and work, his or her "practice".