Screening for Pre-Diabetes

Screening for Pre-Diabetes

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Medical screening is a process utilized to diagnose diseases of conditions in individuals that might not show any symptoms OR are at high risk. Screening can be done in prevention of diseases, but I feel must be effective enough to be done.

For instance, we began talking about screening for "pre" conditions in class. According to the American Diabetes Association, Americans should be screened for pre-diabetes. Although they do specify certain risk factors, which includes BMI over 25, age 45 and older, family history of type II diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. But is it effective to screen for prediabetes? As an example, my grandmother was diagnosed with prediabetes, by way of a blood glucose screening, and the doctor recommended that her diet change, she must exercise more, and she must lose weight. Is it necessary to get screened if this is the intervention? Shouldn't these changes be suggested and emphasized without having to do the blood test? I understand that an intervention of prediabetes would decrease the chances of it becoming type II diabetes, but why not give this advice without having to screen for prediabetes?