medical screening- blessing or curse

medical screening- blessing or curse

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

From today’s lecture and the reading i think, in medicine screening is a process of identifying risk factors or disease in an apparently healthy person. And most of the cases it doesn’t tell you that you have the disease rather it identifies the chances of developing a disease. Furthermore, it divides the population into two groups- “LIKELY” & “UNLIKELY”. However, for a lay person screening test is a “certificate of health”. And the implementation of screening programmes has increased dramatically for the last few decades even in the developing countries such as- India, Bangladesh. For example, screening tests for cervical cancer and currently there are 3 tests available. However, screening test has both beneficial and harmful effects.

Benefits of cervical cancer screening:

1)      Patient -   it reduces the chances of developing cervical cancer about 90% thus reduces the burden of the disease.

-          Early diagnosis  results in early treatment

2)      Pharmaceuticals- they get benefitted financial as well as in marketing.

3)      Epidemiologist- can use the pt records and results  for research purpose

4)      Health care personal- every patient is a new book and act as a source of knowledge. (what i think)

Harmful effects of cervical cancer-

1)      Cost effective

2)      Screening tests often gives false positive result (especially VIA test) which has a negative psychological consequence that may persist years after. It usually changes the normal life style of that patient.  Even the patients with a false positive results but a cancer free cervical biopsy appears more likely to worry about their successive chances of developing cervical cancer and report more problems with sexual function and anxiety disorder then the others with a normal result.

3)      A false negative result gives false reassurance and worsens the condition further.  

Finally, in my opinion screening tests are useful or effective for the general population especially for the diseases with high prevalence rate. However, it is equally vital to look into the harmful effects of screening as its benefits.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: medical screening- blessing or curse

by Deleted user -

Hi Esha, I think that there are a lot more pros than cons when it comes to servocal cancer screening (and screening in general)/ Especially if is reduces the chances of deveoping servical cancer of about 90%. Don't you also think there are far more pros than cons in terms of screening?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: medical screening- blessing or curse

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -

I definitely agree with the points you made!

Especally, your last 'disadvantage' point. Whilst screening I think it is important to educate the individuals about returning for follow up screening. A negative result cannot be used as a means of 'the all clear for life'.

I think perhaps, when individuals come into the clinics for screening, it's important to mention risk factors for that specific disease so in this case it would be factors such as unprotected intercourse and mutliple partners.

All in all, cervical screening, as a whole has more advantages to it than disadvantages. (In my opinion)