the sampling method in the paper

the sampling method in the paper

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 11

Hi everyone--

Well I will start us off with a post about the sampling method used in the paper. I think we will get more discussion going if we have a few in depth posts about individual aspects of the critique, rather than each exhaustively evaluating the paper, at least in our posts. Agree? I think that's what Trish was suggesting before her last lecture.

This was a qualitative study of both mental health care service users AND providers from the same deprived south London borough, to explore barriers and facilitating factors around disclosure of domestic violence.

The authors claim to have used a purposive sampling method of the service users to ensure diversity in ethnicity, age, psychiatric diagnosis and experience with domestic violence. They did not attempt diversity with respect to sex (only 2/18 male interviews), presumably to reflect the skewed incidence of domestic violence between men and women. However they later point out that the sample included 5 perpetrators out of the 18 users identified, and interestingly, the majority of the perpetrators were women. Therefore, it wasn’t clear to me whether in their attempting a maximum-variation type of sample, they achieved representation of the perspective of perpetrators of both sexes not to mention male victims as well.

Was perpetrator disclosure a major aim of the study or an afterthought? On further reflection, perpetrator status was likely not known until after the individual interviews, as this would have been difficult to recruit and therefore sample for.

(as an aside, what did they do if a perpetrator admitted violence during an interview. Was there an intervention? Did the authors pursue mandatory reporting in the case of violence towards children? We can discuss more under a post around ethics…)

Ragarding sampling again, I also wondered whether they performed several analyses from a larger sample as they mention: “In this analysis of barriers and facilitators to disclosure, only service users who had experienced domestic violence are included” (emphasis mine). Did they make other analyses from this study? If so, was the sampling really geared at disclosure of abuse? This was a bit fuzzy to me.

Did anyone pick anything else up regarding sampling of the user group, or does anyone disagree or have anything to add to the above?

Does anyone want to comment on the provider sample next?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: the sampling method in the paper

by Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka -

Thanks for kicking this off David.

You picked up on some good points with regards to the samplling method. I too did find it strange that 5 of the 18 users identified were actually perpetrators of domestic violence. They did not originally state that they had this intention and I feel they could have elaborated on their reasoning for including them a bit more and addressed it in their discussion. If it was indeed a case of just finding out once the process had begun and not being able to do anything about it, maybe they should have more stringent inclusion and exclusion criteria?

In reply to Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka

by Deleted user -

I can agree with David that it is unclear how the initial selection of true domestic violence victims among the volunteers were recruited although it sort of implies there was a process.

However, I was more interested in the attempt  to reflection of the diversity of age, ethnicity, diagnosis and experience. It seems they relied their selection on the 2001 census but it looks too simplified when the representation is by one case for the various ethnicities. It is therefore superficial on elaboration of cultural difference.

On the other hand , I think it is a good paper as it answers its research question in the sense it elaborates on the barriers. It gives a useful information for the service at the time all the focus of ‘’holistic approach’’ is more emphasised and mental health should be the most prominent  speciality beside general practice to take this as a virtue. It is surprising to see the mental health team leaving domestic violence issue to the hands of ‘’others’’.

I find it very difficult to appraise a qualitative work by looking at methodology when the findings are very informative as it is in this study. Larger sampling with better presentation of the age, gender, ethnicity, employment status is always better but this piece of work is encouraging a change in the training hence, as good as it could be! 

In reply to Obianuju Ezidinma Zoe GB-Dumaka

by Deleted user -

I agree with Zoe - it was interesting that they included those who HAD perpetrated the violence, but one could potentially assume that they might have had some violence back? Not too sure on that - but it would make for a further interesting study, dependant on if you could get them to talk.

The lack of males does indicate the nature of domestic violence and the fact that they talk about the gender issue - men are scared to talk about it.

In their limitations, they talk about the population being "very socioeconomically deprived setting where there is a high proportion of people from Black and minority ethnic groups; our results may not therefore be generalisable to other settings." This is good to state, but in the introduction they seemed to be more general about their findings and what they hoped to achieve with this rather than leaving the results to relfeclt one area. I feel that certain areas have differing opinions and experiences of domestic violence and a contrast with another area would have been better for them to make some generalised statements as they did.

In reply to Deleted user

by Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe -

My understanding of sampling in qualitative research is that the sample does not need to represent the population in all dimensions but rather, should be appropriate to answer the researchers questions. Now this I find confusing as some qualitative research may not have a specific aim beyond exploring  or even just observing. Even if authors state an aim, it is not uncommon to stray from this if the themes that come up differ from initial ideas. In fact this is meant to enrich the findings.

Therefore, finding that a sample of interviewees had experienced as well as perpetrated domestic violence enriches the study. I think that having restrictive inclusion and exclusion criteria would have  limited the themes that were eventually explored. Using a stratified sample to factor in ethnicity etc may have addressed filiz's concerns around demographics. Nevertheless, finding a sample of numbers that include all these variables could be prohibitive due to sheer size. Are we applying the attributes of quantitative research when reading qualitative papers?

In reply to Jacqueline Nabuala Walumbe

by Deleted user -

Hi, its been thorough analysis of the sampling up here. The coverage of this sampling is giving me some concern. i feel that a sample should be broad enough to capture the many facets and dimensons of the subject matter, as such their should have been inclusion of the possible observers or witness from the street or family members of the mental health users to cross examine the findings.

i wish also to comment on the use of purposive sampling. It is basically judgmental or selective. In this work, i was tempted to point out the sex ratio of 2:8, but on the second thought which i stand to be corrected, i looked at the purpose of selecting the participant to ensure diversity in age, ethnicity, diagnosis and experience; and i feel that the sex ratio will be difficult to be addressed condisering the availablity of the partcicipant with reference to the nature of the subject matter. and moreover, sex might not really affect the outcome. Unless there are other reasons for sampling few men which the auto didnt disclose in the work.

Cheers!

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Our discussion about the paper by Rose et al is mainly focused on sampling method.  I agree with David and all of you regarding the diversity in sex, with a significantly different proportion of males and females. Also, at the beginning it was remarked that victims of domestic violence recruited the sample, and then it appeared that the sample of 18 participants included 5 perpetrators of domestic violence (without any explanation). I think that people experiencing and perpetrating violence belong to different groups in terms of observation and treatment. Therefore, including perpetrators among the victims might affect the outcome of research. Maybe they should have mentioned about these issues in their limitations part?

On the other hand, the section about clinical implications seems unclear to me.  The aim of this study is “ To explore the facilitators and barriers to disclosure of domestic violence from a service user and professional perspective.” However, I couldn’t understand whether this study aims to solely improve the identification of domestic violence or to decrease the rates of people experiencing violence? And is training of health professionals interviewing skills enough to reduce the number of domestic violence?  Maybe I’m wrong and this research includes the answers on these questions, but in my opinion this paper requires the section for recommendations, in order to provide ways in which further research findings might be applied and how they affect mental health service users.

In reply to Deleted user

by Moira Kelly -

Thanks for starting off the discussion David.  A range of perspectives are highlighted regarding sampling in qualitative research.  For me sampling in qualitative research links strongly to what you want to do in the analysis.  David picks up on this in his query about whether the research team have done any other analyses of the data.  I'm going to pick up on this in another thread.

I wanted to flag up a useful paper by Sarah Curtis et al on sampling in qualitative research.  She is a health geographer who does both quantitative and qualitative research and used to work at QM.

Curtis et al.  (2000) Approaches to sampling and case selection in qualitaitve research: examples in the geography of health.  Social Science & Medicine.  1000-1014.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953699003500

The paper discusses sampling in three papers in relation to six criteria set out by Miles and Huberman:

1. The sampling strategy should be relevant to the conceptual framework and the research questions addressed by the research.

2. The sample should be likely to generate rich information on the type of phenomena which need to be studied.

3. Thes sample should enhance the 'generalizability' of the findings.

4. the sample should produce believable descriptions/explanations.

5. Is the sample strategy ethical?

6. Is the sampling plan feasible?

It sounds like some of these have been fairly adequately addressed in the paper, and others not.  What do you think?  

(I should say that Curtis et al don't use the 6 criteria as a checklist but reflect and discuss)  

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I agree that using a sample of 18 is quite a stretch to say that it is representative of the population as a whole, but I must also add that they make an argument that they only utilized those who were affected by domestic violence and they believe that they found a representation that was indicative of all themes. Also in terms of the diversity of men and women, I think it is important to consider that there are less men who experience physical assault (20% of women from England and Wales and only 1 of 7 men in the UK). Of those 2 men that they found, they were also perpetrating domestic violence. Since they were only including individuals who admitted to being affected by domestic violence, it may be more difficult to find men who admit to being involved in domestic violence, due to some of the themes (pride, fear of consequences, etc.)

In reply to Deleted user

by Shivani Patel -

Hi guys I agree with Nino, and I really think that comparing victims of domestic abuse to perpetrators is not very helpful and it's quite confusing.  I don't see how these two groups of individuals would have the same perception and barriers/ facilitators to disclosing domestic abuse, I think they are two completely different subject groups entirely. 

The pper also stated that the 'two males' reported perpetrating in the Violence, although it is not clear whether they had been recipients of the abuse. Therefore I think that as soon as the 2/2 out of the males had reported being violent and only 3/16 females had reported being violent it is definitely an unfair representation of the male gender.

In reply to Shivani Patel

by Kabir Singh Sandhu -

Hello all - great posts!

The study was carried out with minority groups from low socioeconomic backgrounds.  Can this be extrapolated to the wider population (bearing in mind service users were given £20 for attending) and of course the main recruitment methods included advertising in the media – what type of people responds to such methods of recruitment?

Ethical approval was obtained and all participants remained anonymous throughout.  However, the study did not explore ethical consequences of collecting personal experiences and opening them to public scrutiny.  Can this be used to guide clinic practice (the gender representation issue is important I think.)? 

In reply to Kabir Singh Sandhu

by Sultana Azam -

Brilliant posts guys! Very interesting and I agree with most of the issues raised here.

Another thing that struck me wr/ sampling method is the 'advertisement' method.

1) Maybe the women/men who respond to the adverts have different concerns/fears to those who are not likely to respond to adverts? i.e. those who are not empowered to respond 

2) It mentions being in an ethnically diverse borough in London. The issue of culture was not really discussed. Surely in qualitative research and discourse analysis, the aspect of the culture is very important? 

3) Due to the ethnic diversity there might be a large population who are not able to communicate in English

I think it is a good initial study as it gives a general overview,