A loss of self

A loss of self

by Tahir Mir -
Number of replies: 0

Charmaz states that, “over time, accumulated loss of formerly sustaining self-images without new ones results in a diminished self-concept”. An individual’s image of self is established and conserved through the development of relationships along with social interactions with others. This is a continuous process which requires constant acceptance. In a sufferer of chronic illness this image is attacked and may lead to a negative transformation in the sense of self. Conversely, there may be an optimistic adjustment to the new self. Charmaz analyses the concept through four main avenues which are seen in the lives of chronically ill people; living a restricted life, existing in social isolation, experiencing discredited definitions of self and becoming a burden.

A video that struck me was of a woman who experienced feelings of guilt due to her illness. She felt as a burden on her partner and stated that if he was with someone else he “could enjoy life a bit better”. This example illustrates how chronic illness can induce doubt over the value of self, lead to low self-esteem and change the dynamics of relationships.

I agree that chronic illness does alter an individual’s image of self. However, through my personal experiences I believe this change does not have to be as destructive as Charmaz portrays.