Experiencing a chronic illness

Experiencing a chronic illness

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

According to Charmaz, when you suffer a chronic disease you eventually suffer from restricted life,you feel isolated and like a burden to others and thus you are being discredited. People living with chronic disease experience not only physical pain but also psychological distress and as a consequence they lose control of their lives and thus losing control of theirselves.That loss of self is condusive to individuals' feeling of isolation.

What really impressed me both in the paper and the clips is that patients went through some similar stages. For instance, they were shocked at the beggining, they got angry and they denied their stage of illness. Then they felt depression as they considered theirselves a burden to others and they worried and were scared about their future. But then they understood that they have to keep it going, as a 60 years old lady says characteristically, and they finally accepted it. People worked that out so that instead of letting their regimen of disease control their future life, they were the ones to do so.

The path to acceptance in not really easy. Some of the patients felt that they can't deal with the illness or with the fact that they are dependent to others and their self-esteem was really low. Others compared theirselves to their former condition and tried to do the things they used to do in the past. But under the new circumstances, these things are inevitably not achievable. Minor everyday things are becoming considerable obstacles. In one of the clips, for example, it is said that sometimes when travelling you can't go to certain places as you're not alloweded certain vaccination and this is a big change in everyday life since things that you used to take for granded or things you didn't need to think of, now look different.

Finally, despite all the above and the fact that undergoing a chronic illness is hard, I do agree with Charmaz's point that as long as individuals have choice in valued activities and freedom to pursue these choices then their everyday life won't be restricted, the suffering will be reduced and self-esteem will be maintained.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Experiencing a chronic illness

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

Christina, I really liked your point about the Journey that these patients take. It is an interesting perspective and one that I had not really considered. Now that you have mentioned it, it makes a lot of sense and I agree that both from the paper and the clips you can see the different stages depending on the number of years the perosn has had the illness. I also found the suppost they recieved from doctors, family and friends had an impact on how they progressed through this journey. 

In reply to Deleted user

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

Like Sadhana says, I really like your 'journey' idea. It is quite clear in the videos and the paper! Its really interesting watching them back you can see the similarities in the chronology between comletely different patients!

I don't know if i agree with how you interpreted the links between the 4 sourse of loss of self. I think you've given a great example of how the are linked  (from isolation and restrictions to becoming a burden, to finally discrediting themselves). But, as i said in my post, I think they are reciprocal. By that i mean that its not one that directly causes another and so on. Its not step by step.

The impression i got is that they all occur, together or separately, and each can influence the other. For example, restrictions can lead to social isolation, but it can also happen vice-versa. Just as discrediting events can cause someone to isolate themselves, people who isolate themselves are also discrediting themselves. I think they are 4 different, interacting sources, not 4 distinct steps. Does that make sense?

In reply to Joseph Daniel Jameson

by Deleted user -

I see your point Joe and thank you for giving me the opportunity to make my perception of 4 sources clear. I actually don't view them as linked or that one causes another. I just think that "discrediting" is somehow the inevitable consequence of the other three since it means lack or loss of trust and belief. It means low self-esteem. I agree with you that they are reciprocal. 

In reply to Joseph Daniel Jameson

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

I agree - I did think they were linked, in that they had influence on each other, but I did not think it was a step-by-step process.