CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF A QUALITATIVE RESEARCH PAPER

CRITICAL APPRAISAL OF A QUALITATIVE RESEARCH PAPER

by Patricia Greenhalgh -
Number of replies: 1

Well done Sam for posting even before I've kicked off. 

Here's the paper we're discussing: 

Rose et al. Barriers and facilitators of disclosures of domestic violence by mental health service users: qualitative study. British Journal of Psychiatry 2011, 198:189-194. (linked on the main page for this week)

Use the Kuper checklist we went through in the lecture. But also add your own reflections and interpretations - remember assessing qualitative research is about using judgement not ticking boxes!  Remember too that we're keen to get some discussion threads going in this VS rather than have lots of individual postings with no replies.

In reply to Patricia Greenhalgh

appraising the rose paper

by Deleted user -

In my opinion the sample used was appropriate as the healthcare professionals used cut across those have direct contact with the service users and otherwise, the method used for  data collection seemed well organised and structured, the fact that the interviews were conducted privately also makes the data collection process reliable however the analytical framwork used seemed rather complex, i also think this study can be applied to other areas for example trying to find out how terminally ill patients feel about how adequate their care is.

Apart from getting approval for the study not much was said about about ethical issues that might have developed and how they were tackled and i couldn’t relate to the reflexive nature of this paper.