chronic illness experience

chronic illness experience

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

People with chronic illness usually spend more time trying to live their previous lives and what they have lost in terms of structure and function rather than developing new experiences when living with chronic illness, this is termed  ‘loss of self’ by Kathy Charmaz in Sociology of Health and Illness Vol. 5 No. 2 1983, this feeling usually very significant in the initial stages of the illness usually takes over the lives of those that do not come to terms with  their new restrictions to daily life. The chronic illness experience is also associated with reduced self esteem as chronically ill persons often become dependent and lose control over their lives totally or partially.

These people  also live restricted lives , with reduced mobilization and little or no choice in pursuing everyday activity allowing them more time to focus on their reduced self esteem due to their illness. They also experience social isolation as a result of the restricted life and fear of or the actual experience of being ignored in social settings. Closely related to this is discreditation by everyday contacts ,further dimishing self-image people with chronic illness. Becoming a burden, not only physically but also economically and psychologically which is often identified with immobility associted with chronic illness is a major contributor to loss of self. However feeling different after being diagnosed of a chronic illness is a choice.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: chronic illness experience

by Sara Shaw -

I was really struck by your last sentance, about how feeling different is a choice. Charmaz does talk about chronic illness as a social psychological process, but she also describes how social networks and processes change around people as they experience and negotiate chronic illness. I wonder how much 'choice' people have in this process.... what do others think?

In reply to Sara Shaw

Re: chronic illness experience

by Deleted user -

'Choice' may depend on what the illness is and how it progresses actually, but i think disability is a state of mind.For example athletes in paralympics, am sure they battled with low self esteem and social changes at some point.so you can choose to live with chronic illness and create a world of positivity around you or loose your self to the illness.Thats what i meant by 'choice'.