Those with a Chronic Illness

Those with a Chronic Illness

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -
Number of replies: 5

Out of the many associations I made from the Charmaz paper and the RA video clips, just one of them that I recognized straight away was how the female with RA mentioned observing acquaintances also on steroids which she was soon to be put on, and she came to the realization that she would soon be in the same position of feeling bloated, losing balance and depressive state that her friend was in. Her friend, however, soon recovered from this state which gave her hope.

Charmaz mentioned this in his paper as ‘viewing the losses that other patients suffer’ and ‘their observations cause them to evaluate information and treatment for themselves’, which is exactly what this patient described.

The second point I’d like to make is related to Charmaz stating that social isolation is something chronically ill patients suffer from. This occurs either due to lack of energy or a busy schedule and leads to feelings of loneliness. One of the RA patients mentions going to crafts sessions which helps her to get away and socialize along with giving her husband a break, which is also important as it stops patients from feeling like a burden, which is another point that Charmaz raises.

In reply to Saadia Aziz Dhedhi

Re: Those with a Chronic Illness

by Deleted user -

I think that is true regarding patients that knew or experienced someone with the same chronic illness, as they feel shocked because they know what is it like. On the other hand, There are other patients who did not really know about RA and they thought it was just a type of inflammation. These patient become more shocked, as they did not expect it to be a chronic illness.

I also totally agree with you on the second point. Patients feel themselves ignored their acquaintances and friends. This can be more prominent in the American society, as the people tend to be more independent and independence is one of the most important values.

In reply to Deleted user

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -

I'm not quite sure how much I agree with your point regarding the American Society.

The importance of independence may be more strongly associated to Western societies, though perhaps the main reason for patients feeling ignored or lonely may have more of a cultural aspect. I feel in Eastern society, it is always 'drilled in' from an early stage that to look after elders in their old age is a given.

Perhaps it has more to do with family values rather than independence.

by Lindsay Jane Bull -

I think, as the reading in David Price's seminar said, that American values are generalised far too much! I think their founding was based on principles such as independence etc, but I don't think it's just America - as you say Saadia, i think it is a cultural thing - Western cultures have, somewhere in the last 50 or so years, lost the values of family etc. In migrant populations you see houses where there are 3 generations of the family living together, as it is just expected that you look after your elders.

by Deleted user -

Nice point Saadia!

Isolation is an important effect of chronic illness. As I mentioned in my point, since patients realise that they have to keep it going and given that they have choice in valued activities, everyday life will be better. They won't think so much about pain and they hopefully won't expirience depression. Encouragement and support are needed, of course.

by Deleted user -

I totally agree when you say that it is either due to lack of energy or a busy schedule and leads to feelings of loneliness. I think it is because they realize that they have nothing to do or nothing they can do to kill time which hence results into loneliness.