The sufferance of chronic ill patients

The sufferance of chronic ill patients

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

In the paper “Loss of self: a fundamental form of suffering in the chronically ill”,  Chamaz observes different difficulties that chronically ill patients face and major changes that occur in their life due to the disease.

The author outlines that the most significant sufferance that the chronically ill patients face is loss of self. They feel unnatural and downgraded and start losing their self- confidence and self- esteem.

The main part of the disturbances is due to psychological factors. For example, the 25 years patient said she could not meet up with friends for drinks anymore, which leads to isolation and psychological disturbance.

What attracted my attention is the difference in the reactions of the young and middle-aged patients compared to these of older patients regarding the time factor. For instance, the 25 years old patient was shocked and angry when she knew about her disease while the 70 years old patient said that she accepted the illness after she reached the 60s, as she realized that at this age she could have been ill with something more serious.

In general, most of the patients start perceiving themselves from another perspective and tend to become less socially and intellectually active. On the other hand, it is interesting to mention that with time most of the patients get used to their new condition and reshape their lives. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: The sufferance of chronic ill patients

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -

I completely agree with your statement regarding differences between the older and younger generations...perhaps the older generation realise they have lived the 'best part' of their lives whereas those who are young still have ambitions and goals that can no longer be achieved, and if they can be achieved, then after many hurdles.

And with regards to your last point, I also think it's interesting to see how quickly some people recover/reshape their lives according to the people that are around them.

E.g. A newly diagnosed patient who witnesses someone in a much worse off state than them, sometimes then have the motivation to not end up in the same position as the person they are observing. Which gives them a new positive outlook on life.

In reply to Saadia Aziz Dhedhi

Re: The sufferance of chronic ill patients

by Sadhana Sharanya Jacob -

I think this is a very good point that  the difference in disease perception and the impact it can have on a persons life is very much linked to their age. There was a clip of a gentleman who found it very helpful to speak to people at his place of work; many of whom were "elderly." He found that either they had suffered from RA themselves and had tips and advice on how to cope or they had suffered from other, perhaps worse, conditions and he found it inspiring to hear their stories.