When everything changes...

When everything changes...

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

When your doctor tells you that you are suffering from a chronic disease, your entire life changes, everything changes. Kathy Charmaz gives a good overview about the thoughts and feelings those patients have.

Having watched the video interviews one thing becomes very clear: they all went through similar stages after having been confronted with the news of their disease. At first they were angry, at themselves, at others, or just in general. Then they would start to think about their disease and try to educate themselves. After all life would go on, “worse things happen” as one woman put it.

Often the real challenges come with time. When people get sicker and cannot work anymore or have to give up all their hobbies, social isolation is often one of the most devastating consequences. Some people manage to find new hobbies or get involved in self-help groups; the extent of one’s illness is, however, the limiting factor.

Another issue is home care. When people lose control over their bowel movements and need to be cleaned by someone else, they lose not only their autonomy but also part of their self-esteem.

There are a lot of other issues patients, their families and physicians face in such situations. It is always important to think about the challenges ahead and try to adept to your new life as good as possible, after all everything changes.

----------------------

"Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom is a lovely book about the relationship between a professor who is suffering from ALS and his former student, and how the disease changes not only a life but also one's views of it.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: When everything changes...

by Deleted user -

Andreas, I really like your text about this topic! I also think that it is a huge burden for any chronically ill patient to become dependent on home care.

Do you think though that was accurate of Charmaz to come to her conclusions (loss of self, leading restricted lives, experiencing social isolation, being discredited and burdening others) by interviewing just 57 patients? I am curious whether patients with a chronic mental illness (i.e. Schizophrenia) would experience similar feelings of social isolation or burdening others.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I don't think the idea behind the text was to offer a statistically significant research of the topic. It was intended to give an overview of issues patients might have when they are chronically ill. You could interview 1,000 patients and there would still be other patients who see their illness differently.

In reply to Deleted user

by Sara Shaw -

Yes! Great point and perhaps something to consider in this afternoons session on critically appraising qualitative research and thinking about transferability of findings that emerge.

This also links to another thread on 'illness experience' and discussion whether every individual is different? I'm not sure about this and wonder if there are things that we can learn from research and theory about how indiviuals have common experiences e.g. 'loss of self' or 'degradation' as a reuslt of their on-going chronic illness.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Schizopheria? Hmmm. Okay, i may totally be talking nonsense here. But, would someone with schizopheria be aware of their 'new' self? Or maybe remember what their old self used to be, enough to compare? I'm just wondering.