Follow up from last week

Follow up from last week

by David Mccoy -
Number of replies: 0

Dear students,

I’m writing to follow up on your meeting with Irene Leigh last Friday.

There are a couple of things I want to share with you.

I want to reassure you that everything in our power is being done to ensure that the suspension of the BSc programme does not disadvantage you.

Your degree is a good degree. It is a multi-disciplinary degree that speaks to some of the biggest challenges we face as a society, and it is centred around a subject area that is currently on everyone’s minds. Many people looking at the BSc curriculum will find themselves excited to meet any graduates from the programme.

However, to minimise any negative consequences we will create a page on the Unit’s Global Health Hub website providing information about the degree, as well as information about the career destinations of past graduates.

The decision to suspend the programme was made by the central management of the university. The reasons given were: a) poor NSS scores; b) an inadequate number of student applicants prior to clearing; and c) too many students entering the programme with ‘low grades’. The impact of Covid19 on the university’s financial situation was also an important background factor. In my view the rationale for suspending the programme was flawed – and we strongly argued to keep the programme open. I'm really sorry for any worry this has caused.

It goes without saying that we will be available to support the next phase of your life/career with reference letters and advice.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or worries.

Thanks and all the best

David