Crumbling Self Image and Loss Of Control

Crumbling Self Image and Loss Of Control

by Sandeep Suryadevara Rao -
Number of replies: 3

Charmaz talks about a patient’s ‘self image crumbling’, and that it can be a major problem without the development of a new one. The man in the lecture with chronic pain seemed to be describing a massive change in self image. He described 2 years of ‘wasting’ his time by trying to pursue the same activities that his former self would have pursued. He was self-critical and seemed to see himself as a failure, because he was judging his success/failure against what he would have been able to achieve in the past.

Eventually he said he took ‘a more open view’ and found an ‘equally rewarding life’.  If we assume he is not just putting on a brave face, he has appropriately moved the goal posts and developed a new self-image.

In the seminar a few weeks ago we talked about loss of control regarding a new diagnosis, which could be worse with relapsing/remitting illnesses. I am surprised that the clips did not emphasis this aspect of RA. However, Charmaz mentioned that people with chronic diseases can restrict their own lives more than ‘necessary’ because they did not know how their illness is going to affect them.

On the flipside, there is a clip of a posh lady who says she has to ‘fight it all the time’ or she will seize up. Her description makes it seem like arthritis is an attacker waiting to strike if she is not vigilant. She personifies the idea of the British stiff upper lip, and she shows neither weakness nor emotion. This is in keeping with the cancer ‘fighters’, who try to regain the power and control in their battle with illness

In reply to Sandeep Suryadevara Rao

Re: Crumbling Self Image and Loss Of Control

by Sara Shaw -

Interesting to consider how different metaphors might be employed by people experiencing chronic illness (it also builds on last weeks seminar on discourse analysis and use of language). I wonder what these and other metaphors might to reveal (to professionals, family members, researchers....) about people's 'loss of self'?

If you're keen to explore metaphor further, a good place to start is an essay by Susan Sontag - Illness as Metaphor, Penguin Books, 1983.

In reply to Sandeep Suryadevara Rao

by Yasin Fatine -

So would I be right in assuming that there are two 'camps' when it comes to suffering from chronic illness; those whose world has been destroyed, crumbling self image etc, and those who view things more positively, are 'fighters' etc? Or is there a massive grey area in between where people accept that their lives have been changed and occasionally fall into bouts of depression/negativity, but generally try to get on with their lives?

In reply to Yasin Fatine

by Storm Parker -

This is a really interesting way to categorise the way people deal with chronic disease- those who rebel against and fight it and those who succumb to it and feel that they have lost themselves.

There may also be a third group, those who readily accept what has happened (rather than accepting after a long period of time), I wonder what proportion of people this would be true for. I would assume that this would depend on individuals personality traits and life experiences- someone who thinks "it could be worse" may have seen worse things happen to others around them?