Discourse Analysis of "normality" among revering heroin users

Discourse Analysis of "normality" among revering heroin users

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

Discourse analysis is a multi-dimensional tool through which social life and social interaction can be studied through focusing on language, ranging from non-verbal interaction and focus groups to the interpretation of documents.  

In the study I chose to examine, the perception of what it means to be “normal” was explored among recovering heroin addicts, using the method of discourse analysis, after it was noted by researchers that this was a common theme that seemed to surface in many conversations with these recovering patients.

Data from qualitative in-depth interviews was studied. A total of 40 recovering heroin users took part, who were receiving individualised care for their particular stage of “recovery”. Six repertoires of “normality” were identified and were categorised into the following groups: “aspiration to everyday practice”, “embodied normality”, “normal can be boring”, “normal drug use is problematic”, “imaginary normal” and “comparator”.  

In this study, questions were used to guide the discourse analysis, for example looking at the form of articulation used when discussing the idea of “being normal”, the ways in which patients describe normality, along with looking at particular style of discussion. Through this method, the recovering addicts in the study shared their own perception of how they felt they deviated from their understanding of “normality”. It offered a uniquely insightful exploration of the patients’ sense of “self”, which could not easily be gleaned from other types of study.

Looking at discourse analysis has highlighted for me the importance of listening to patients and allowing patients almost a “freedom” to speak, which unfortunately is quite often not encouraged in patient interviews, with closed questions limiting conversation and exploration of ideas. Studying what it is to be “normal” from these patients’ perspectives was a fascinating exploration of  the ideas of patients, shaped through their individual experiences of addiction. In response to the question posed in this study, patients tended, in addition, to express their personal aspirations or aims to work towards, and often their responses were intertwined with notions of their emotional state at the time of interview, which could sometimes be quite negative, and again would be hard to explore using other study methods.

Nettleton, Neale and Pickering (2012).' 'I just want to be normal': An analysis of discourses of normality among recovering heroin users.' Health (London) [published online 4 July 2012] Available at: http://hea.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/07/01/1363459312451182.long

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Discourse Analysis of "normality" among recovering heroin users

by Deleted user -

Please excuse the typo in the subject title: I couldn't find away to edit it- I did of course mean "recovering" and not "revering" heroin users!