Discourse Analysis: Accounts of Men's Use of General Practitioners

Discourse Analysis: Accounts of Men's Use of General Practitioners

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 1

My attempt would be that, Discourse Analysis is a research method with a basis on an understanding that communication (semiotic/non semiotic) or language is shaped by underlying social and cultural structures.  The discourse analysis may take different forms such as analysing language in use, assessing method (chosen words, metaphors etc.) and ability used to convey meaning. The other form which I believe is used in my choice study above considers not just micro interaction (assessing language) but mostly pays attention to the broad social and cultural context. In this case the context is men’s health in general practice.

The aim of this study is to explore “how the emerging patterns evident in public discourse around men’s health might be played out in more everyday settings”. The study used interview material to from a sample of GPs and nurses to evaluate among other things, how normative masculinity tendencies structures the health workers’ evaluation and construction of male patients.

The  authors argue that  this study having confirmed the patterns revealed in existing research such as men’s perceived low health seeking behaviour, should not be dismissed as having just uncovered health workers stereotype towards male patients. They go on to caution that stereotypes are powerful as they set the scene for what can be described in a particular context. In this instance the health workers interviewed demonstrated a contradictory structure by hailing hegemonic masculinity whilst on the other hand acknowledging it as a deterrent to negotiate health care. This phenomenon can pose challenges for health promotion.

http://hpq.sagepub.com/content/7/3/253.full.pdf+html

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Discourse Analysis: Accounts of Men's Use of General Practitioners

by Deleted user -

Wow, what a good one. i am quite engage reading the study. It looks more drammatic than studies.

Using the discourse analysis to discover that men often less attend to their surgeries than women shows how useful  discourse analysis may be. Like i said in my post, its is gaining ground in a typical hospital practice.

The result of the study reminds me of my observation that men dont usually comply with their medication on the view that they are masculine and strong as such might not need the pills as such presenting to the hospital late.

This may account for high mortality rate of men as well as shorter life expectancey in some areas.

I love this post.