Discourse Analysis in the Study of Sexual Violence

Discourse Analysis in the Study of Sexual Violence

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Well, this week’s topic was really hard for me and I am not sure I am on the right tract or not

What I have understood that discourse analysis is about understanding the social life through a language that is a system of thought and / or behaviours linked to social practice. It concerns the sorts of tools and strategies people use when engaged in communication.

Account for Rape: Psychology, Feminism and Discourse Analysis in the Study of Sexual Violence, I. Anderson,

The author describes that although rape claims are seldom met with clear supportive response, a cultural climate of secondary victimization in the after myth of rape is a reality for many victims and can be detrimental to psychological health impact on decision to report an incident of rape, to investigate a rape allegation and to convict an alleged rapist if a comes to trial. They discussed 5 cases and in each of the cases victims were further victimised by the negative and judgemental reactions of the society following the rape incident, which may prompt a feelings of guilt and shame on the part of the victim about their conduct in relation to the crime committed to them. And these negative reactions contribute to post rape distress syndrome. Crucial to this is the way in which rape supportive talk is underpinned by a range of deeply ingrained cultural sense.

From this study, I have understood that- how community and society influences the social life of a rape victim. And a positive and supportive approach towards the rape victim can change their negative self image as well as helps in rehabilitation.