In the system: the lived experience of chronic back pain from the perspectives of those seeking help from pain clinics

In the system: the lived experience of chronic back pain from the perspectives of those seeking help from pain clinics

by Shivani Patel -
Number of replies: 1

Discourse analysis is the analysis of verbal and non-verbal communication used in conversations between individuals or groups. It is the semantic analysis of conversation, which in addition to understanding the context of the social interaction, allows insight into the participant’s perspective, thoughts and behaviours.

The paper I have chosen looks at the discourse analysis of patients with back pain perspectives of seeking help from pain clinics. The study was carried out to allow clinicians to understand the suffering of chronic back pain, and to gain insight of why patients often have negative attitudes about pain management.

1. The study taught me patients sometimes view a clinician as a cynical member of authority, especially when they suffer from chronic pain. Thus, feel powerless and abandoned if they feel a clinician has judged them or has certain perceptions of them, even if this is not true. Therefore, it is vital that clinicians always communicate maximum empathy and understanding, as many of these patients were left hopeless to the point where they were severely depressed.
  2. Clinicians should also not forget that patients seeking help from them often travel far and wait long for the consultation. In many cases it is the patient’s only chance of some help, whether, this is a cure, treatment or hope. Therefore, seeking help from a clinic should always be a positive experience. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304395998002541

In reply to Shivani Patel

Re: In the system: the lived experience of chronic back pain from the perspectives of those seeking help from pain clinics

by Kabir Singh Sandhu -

Thank you Shivani! I very much agree with your first point - even as a third year med student, with very limited ward experience, the 'cynical doc' archetype was always more readily attributed by patients in grave pain than other patients on the wards. Perhaps its our limited understanding of pain management that leads to this? Or is our very long work loads that mean we often ignore the entity that is pain!? Thanks!