the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height

the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 2

What is discourse analysis?

As Sandy, Sam, Andreas and Toks already explained discourse analysis in an exceptionally good way and also found great example-studies I find it very difficult to come up with a new explanation!

Therefore I want to focus more on the study I found in pubmed.

In my view discourse analysis is the observation of one’s language, behaviour, facial expression and gesture, which leads to information about one’s social life. As explained by Shaw et Bailey, there are different techniques in discourse analysis, such as micro level studies that concentrate especially on language in use.

Rayner et al. did a discourse analysis of medical literature on the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height. They found three linguistic repertoires emerging from the analysis:

1. The institutional authority of medicine that determined the ‘abnormality’ of tall stature in women
  2. Clinical knowledge and experience in the diagnosis of medical risks associated with tall stature in women
  3. The use of hormones as cosmetic therapy to (re)construct femininity in tall girls.

They concluded that over a time span of 50 years doctors persuaded themselves and parents of tall girls that tall stature required therapeutic intervention, although no evidence of psychological harm associated with tall stature in women had been found and no long-term studies showing either effectiveness or benefit of hormone treatment had been made.

Rayner JA, Pyett P et Astbury J., The medicalisation of 'tall' girls: A discourse analysis of medical literature on the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height. Social Science & Medicine 71 (2010) 1076-1083

In reply to Deleted user

Re: the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height

by Deleted user -

The idea of discourse analysis is very new to me, especially when you are supposed to think about it on a conscious rather than a subconscious level, or actively use those skills. I don't fully understand the discourse analysis in your case. Did body language influence the decision to use medical intervention?

As I understand it, discourse analysis is more about how you say things rather than what you say. That's why I don't really understand how you can do a discourse analysis on literature.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: the use of synthetic oestrogen to reduce female height

by Deleted user -

Well, I found Sebastian's approach for discourse analysis on literature different but really interesting. A discource analysis is not only interviews and body language. Although, I am not that familiar with the discourse analysis as a study method, in my opinion, discourse analysis includes a wide range of topics and theories, which offers many ways to understand social interactions. Correct me if I am wrong!