Discourse analysis of nurses providing bereavement follow-up(BFU)

Discourse analysis of nurses providing bereavement follow-up(BFU)

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

Discourse analysis is a qualitative method that helps the understanding of social interactions and the evaluation of individuals'use of language. Not only what one says but also the way one says something about a wide range of topics is really important. Discourse analysis involves an analytical technique to understand a context and has also to do with intonation of the speech which offers ways of investigating meanings.

Bereavement follow-up by health professionals is recognised as an important component of care and has been identified as an indicator of quality care by families and nurses. The substantial psychological burden associated with deaths/losses has promoted many centers to initiate formalised BFU programmes to improve continuity of care to bereaved families. Grace McConnell, Megan Aston,Pat Randel and Nic Zwaagstra,Nurses' experiences providing bereavement follow up, 12 May 2012

Discourse analysis was used in this study to help us understand the personal and social aspects of BFU through a focus on language, practices, beliefs and values. 8 registered nurses with experience were interviewed. They revealed complexed interactions between themselves, the families, social norms and professionalism.

Topics emerged:

• discourse on death(many people don't want to talk about death and feel unconfortable when interacting with people who are grieving)
  • the importance of relationship between the nurse and  the family(including trust, compassion, supportive communication and emotion)
  • taking care of self and "closure"(how nurses address the family's emotions and how they attend to their own emotions
  • conflicting discourses, boundaries and invisible work(nurses experience two different discourses;personal and professional but their work is invisible to administration)

Despite the fact that only 8 nurses were interviewed,which may pose a problem of reliability, this study made me understand that relations are influenced by beliefs and practices within culture,nursing and hospital settings and that  psychological aspects must be taken into consideration by health professionals in unpleasant situations. It's not only the strict medical process that counts. It is very important that bereavement work is viewed as significant by the nurses interviewed and an important component of care provided to families. But, finally, the stories told by the nurses pinpoint the need for further legitimacy of BFU and that although the communication with bereaved families can be challenging and intinidating, still little education or training is offered to the nurses in terms of relative life issues especially in the area of pediatrics.

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Discourse analysis of nurses providing bereavement follow-up(BFU)

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

Its interesting the differences that crop up between discourse analysis of patients accounts (as in my study on patient experiences in CFS) and a health care professionals account (as in your example of nurses talking about their experiences of BFU). Your post highlights the need for both these types of studies because, as you rightly said, discursive research is done in a cultural context. Obviously the culture surrounding nursing (and the medical profession as another example) and all its conotations are very different to the culture surrounding  different bereaved families.

Do you think it would be useful to do other studies talking to the families themselves? Maybe looking at both sides of the interaction could provide ways of improving the BFU services even further?

In reply to Joseph Daniel Jameson

by Deleted user -

Thank you for your point Joe! I was thinking about that and I think that it would be of grave importance actually, that we do studies regarding the families and their needs during a potential tough experience like that. What is that they expect from health professionals(nurses etc) and from healthcare system broadly? Do they feel the positive effect of BFU services and if yes how? By doing so, we would have a better overall idea of how to improve BFU services in each culture since throughout a study like this we are going to come across with differences concerning countries/cultures.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Hi Christiana,

I found the topics that emerged to be quite interesting.

My favourite was:

"conflicting discourses, boundaries and invisible work(nurses experience two different discourses;personal and professional but their work is invisible to administration)".

This is somthing that didnt cross my mind before. It is true that their work is invisible to administration. I agree.

I also agree with you that relations are influenced by beliefs as well as practices within cultures. I also think that you are correct in saying that the strict medical process is not the only one that counts, other factors have a large importance as well.