medically unexplained symptoms

medically unexplained symptoms

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

As far as I understand, discourse analysis is a laborious work through interviewing and analysing the contexts, concentrating on the words, and interpreting. It is a bit like ‘’detective ‘’work, paying attention to the details rather than numbers. Despite all, it seems it is very useful  method to stimulate thinking for the psychosocial aspect of illness and improve our understanding for ‘’patient-tailored’’ and sensitive, receptive practice.   It is perhaps not the numbers as we used to see or deal with in research but more towards the philosophical way which infuse into our behaviour as practitioners.

I have found a paper from Elsevier about the patients with medically unexplained symptoms and the sources of their authority and implications of their demand in medical care.

I picked this paper as it was originated from the Liverpool with an attractive title that interests me in my general practitioner work.

I have found it very difficult to read and digest hence my conclusion may not be comprehensive. But I will try:

The aim of the study was understanding patients’ use of medical language in their understanding of the symptoms and its effect on the interactions with the doctors.

They recruited 228 patients who had no found cause of their symptoms. They were interviewed by the same person but analysed by several authors.

They included some numbers i.e a table of the breakdown of the symptom frequencies. The rest is categorising the patients’ account of their symptoms and explanations, their own interpretation of illness.

Patients’ appreciation of the doctors who were seen as ally against the disease is suggested as an alternative to the meeting of experts or collaborators in problem solving model of patient-doctor relations  is probably the main message of the paper.  

I have noticed this is very old paper only at the end! It was published in 1998. This paper and alike are probably drawn into education of doctors since then to influence professional’s attitude in consultations as well as in health policy. Hence there are initiatives locally ( i.e City and Hackney) to contain these patients with the help of psychological therapies. 

My conclusion after all is that this was probably not the best paper I could have picked up!

Here is the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9460835

In reply to Deleted user

Re: medically unexplained symptoms

by Sultana Azam -

That's quite interesting. Thanks Filiz. I think this could link in with the view that society is becoming 'over medicalised.'

Maybe we attribute 'disease,' 'signs' and 'symptoms' to people who may just want a bit of TLC.. (tender loving care) or maybe there are other social/psychological issues that patients do not want to disclose immediately, so use a presenting symptom as a reason to see the doctor. 

Doctors are, though maybe increasingly less now, seen as advocates of society and many reach out for their help. 

I think that the role of media, namely the internet, and access to medical information can allow patients to self diagnose. 

Sultana 

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

hi filiz,

would you have a full text link to the paper please?

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

Thanks Feliz! I agree with Sultana that media plays a great deal with patients these days. People are often influenced into diagnosing themselves with certain illnesses, and may feel "phantom" symptoms due to their diagnosis.

It may also be difficult for some patients to articulate exactly how they are feeling, which may cause diagnosis and consultations to become difficult because it turns into a much more detailed investigation. Without fully understanding how the patient feels may lead one to believe that their symptoms are "medically unexplained."