The advice giving role of pharmacist during consultation for medication review with patients aged 80 years or more.

The advice giving role of pharmacist during consultation for medication review with patients aged 80 years or more.

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 4

Discourse analysis is the study of forms and modes of communication in everyday life with the aim of making analytical deductions; it is also the study of the relationship between language and the socio-psychological characteristics of a person.

The study I selected looked at the role of the pharmacist advice in medication review consultations with patients aged 80 years or more. The study was done in patients’ homes and the selected patients had been previously admitted to the hospital and it aimed to measure the extent to which advice given by pharmacist to patients was accepted.

The study showed that pharmacist dealing with this group of patients (80 years and above) had poor communication skills and advice was often rejected and there were difficulties during consultation with the pharmacist rarely initiating advice.

This study showed that the extended role of the pharmacist is uncertain in older patients’ management of their medicines and that reception and acknowledgement of advice in medication review consultations with pharmacists is affected by context and communicative competence and may lead to negative health gain.

British Medical Journal (2007).The advice giving role of the pharmacist during consultations for medication review with patients aged 80 years or more [online].

Available at: http://www.bmj.com/content/334/7603/1101

The study has improved my understanding in these ways:

• That communication plays a major role in a patient’s perception of his or her illness.
  • That there is a link between mode of communication better health outcomes.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: The advice giving role of pharmacist during consultation for medication review with patients aged 80 years or more.

by Samuel Dafydd Rigby -

Toks your first bullet point feels so significant, having only had one year on wards studying medicine it was already becoming apparent for me, then to see this paper it seems more true.

Would it be a good idea to invest in  communication training for pharmacists, and promote their image and ability to promote patient understanding at the potential loss of technical understanding of the medications being dispensed?

In reply to Samuel Dafydd Rigby

Re: The advice giving role of pharmacist during consultation for medication review with patients aged 80 years or more.

by Deleted user -

I think you found a very interesting study, Toks!

In Austria pharmacists play an important part in old people’s lives as pharmacies are the only place where one can buy drugs. You can’t even get a simple paracetamol in a supermarket in Austria!

Furthermore, due to economization social insurance companies ask medical doctors to prescribe cheaper generic drugs. Especially old people suffering from chronic diseases have problems adapting to the new name of the product, the possible different dosage and therefore need advice from pharmacists.

Do these problems also exist in the UK?

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I think this is very relevant in developing countries where most people see pharmacists first before they even see doctors (quite an interesting link David Price posted about a patient's interaction with a doctor in India). Older people would be less inclined to walk a longer distance to a hospital. They would most likely just walk across the street to the nearest pharmacy/chemist. Now, if the person feels no confidence in the pharmacist, there is a good chance s/he would just go home to 'sleep it off'.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

with this finding it shows that the communication skills of the pharmacist my have a negative or positive impact on the patient.This also goes for doctors and nurses as some patient would be confortable seeing a particular doctor than others due to his ability to interact.

I believe improving the communication skills of medical practitioners will also be an improvement on health system as a whole