Discourse Analysis of Hypertensive Patients

Discourse Analysis of Hypertensive Patients

by Saadia Aziz Dhedhi -
Number of replies: 2

From what I have understood, I believe discourse analysis is the study of language, both verbal and non-verbal. It looks beyond just the words that are spoken and also looks into the social and cultural aspect of conversations. It looks at all aspects of interactions such as what is said, why it is said and how it is said and subsequently allows us to see what is a successful or unsuccessful interaction.

The study that I have decided to look at is ‘perception of people on hypertensive risk factors for the disease’.

33 patients over the age of 18, both male and female, were interviewed in a Centre for cardiovascular diseases located in Salvador. Interviews consisted of a semi-structured format and were recorded, and transcribed at a later date. The main findings were that when patients were questioned regarding risk factors associated with HTN, they were confused with complications of HTN. However, when asked what causes high blood pressure, the findings were more consistent with actual risk factors.

By reading this study, it has further enriched my understanding on the importance of language used during consultations. It’s important to use words a patient will understand…Not all patients understand ‘risk factor’ and by slightly rewording to ‘what raises your blood pressure?’ increases correct responses by patients. Not only this, but asking a question relating to their personal experience of the disease allows a more accurate and clearer response.

This can perhaps help us to understand the importance of relating to patients and their life experiences to extract more information in consultations and to not get frustrated when patients do not understand medical terminology.  

In reply to Saadia Aziz Dhedhi

Re: Discourse Analysis of Hypertensive Patients

by Joseph Daniel Jameson -

I really like how you have described discourse analysis as a way to look at the 'success' of an interaction. I hadn't thought of it that way!

Its interesting how, in this study, patients with HTN knew the causes of HTN better than the complications. Ths shows how 'successful' doctors are at imparting knowledge about aetiology but not about prognosis. Don't you think its worrying? this means that doctors aren't getting across how important management of HTN is to patients. In a way, this normalises HTN but fails to solve the problem. All this because of 'unsuccessful' interactions!

In reply to Saadia Aziz Dhedhi

Re: Discourse Analysis of Hypertensive Patients

by Patricia Greenhalgh -

"discourse analysis is the study of language, both verbal and non-verbal" - yes, and in particular it's a DETAILED study of language-in-use. 

Can you post the link to the paper? It's impossible to find it with the information provided